• TMV World Member

haha. Nice cover and song choice.    Im tempted myself to do Harry Chapin's 'Changes'

That song has such a sad story behind it. Croce had plunked around, struggling singing at coffee houses etc. He quit that and drove trucks etc for a while. Thru late 72/early 73 he had some success and toured some etc

He finished recording his album "I got a Name" in Sept '73 and a week later died in a plane crash, after a concert, the day before the song "I got a name" was released.

He had written a letter to his wife saying he had decided to give up music and settle down more with her and his young child and that he would write short stories and movie scripts. The letter arrived after his death

Dude was only 30

• TMV World Legacy Member

Sounded great Robert, I credit Jim for teaching me how to play guitar(such as it is).  I had two 8-track tapes of his "Life and Times" and Photographs and Memories". I spent hours just trying to figure out the chords. This was one of my all time favorites. "one less Set of Footsteps" is another.

Jim got me through a lot of bad times.

Also another reason that I put the Song over the singer. Nothing wrong with Jims singing but those words and melodies are gold no matter who sings them.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• Administrator

Exactly. I think one of the lessons that this recording and effort is teaching is that a really great song will still sound great regardless of who's singing it, Heather singing it, etc.  of course within reason. My version is very different than his, yet it still captures the story and the same idea. 

• TMV World Legacy Member

Lovers Cross and Lifetime Lover for me...........Same girl ......... Jim really came through for me.

I always felt like Maury Muehleisen ....... in the background while others got the credit.  Kind of like Steve Goodman to John Prine. ...........   I played Bass and Lead guitar for quite a few bands......background vocals..........

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."