How to find correct support amount...

Rate this topic

GuitarLord

Hey,

I realized that I often support my notes with a bit more pressure then needed, as I always go for my best, just so that I can show up :D so i support a bit more just to be heard.

So are there any tips and tricks on how you can control support pressure effectively.

Just to be clear, I know how to support notes, I understand support, I don't inhale more then needed (I take just a little amount of air), I just add more pressure when exhaling then needed. Now, I'm not the guy who sings lightly too often, I sing rock and that has to have volume, but I think I do it a bit too much. So if I just try to back off support, I will not add enough volume and resonance to make a good clear loud sound.

So what are some tricks to play with breath pressure, to control it to its best, I'm talking about the exhaling part of supporting notes, the inhaling is not the problem, and lower your support JUST A LITTLE more then you are used too...

Regards,

Nikola Vejin

Try supporting a bit less than what you're doing. If that doesn't work, try supporting more. Do this until you find the correct balance. Remember that when you support, your solar plexus should go slowly outwards and your belly button slowly inwards. For high notes and/or loud notes and/or distorted notes, the effort needed to sustain this continuous movement is higher and is what people refer to as "more support". Also note that more support is not more air. Unless you're singing extremely softly, you want to use so little air that if you were to put your hand in front of your mouth when singing, you'd always feel heat and not wind. Go through this check list, educate yourself a bit more on support (the support chapter in the CVT book is the best I've seen), experiment with this, remember that support is a balance that you will continue to try to keep for the rest of your singing career, and ... good luck!

Hey,

I realized that I often support my notes with a bit more pressure then needed, as I always go for my best, just so that I can show up :D so i support a bit more just to be heard.

So are there any tips and tricks on how you can control support pressure effectively.

Just to be clear, I know how to support notes, I understand support, I don't inhale more then needed (I take just a little amount of air), I just add more pressure when exhaling then needed. Now, I'm not the guy who sings lightly too often, I sing rock and that has to have volume, but I think I do it a bit too much. So if I just try to back off support, I will not add enough volume and resonance to make a good clear loud sound.

So what are some tricks to play with breath pressure, to control it to its best, I'm talking about the exhaling part of supporting notes, the inhaling is not the problem, and lower your support JUST A LITTLE more then you are used too...

Regards,

Nikola Vejin

to add to jonpall's suggestions

why do you say that you add more pressure than is needed..what in your vocals tells you you're supporting too much? are you locking up your throat?

again, why do you say that?

to add to jonpall's suggestions

why do you say that you add more pressure than is needed..what in your vocals tells you you're supporting too much? are you locking up your throat?

again, why do you say that?

When I add more exhale pressure then needed, what comes from it is that I have problem with stamina/endurance, cause my voice gets tired after a bit of singing. I can't sing too long (maybe after 30mins of constant singing my throat gets tired a bit) because it's demanding to sing with max support. So I can't sing longer shows like 2hours. I can hit really demanding notes, pretty high, but it's just that I somehow over-do-it when exhaling, and if I try to lower that pressure I will sometimes not be able to hit those same notes because I guess then my support is not enough... so I guess it's hard for me TO FIND CORRECT BALANCE BETWEEN TOO MUCH AND TOO LITTLE SUPPORT (I intentionally made that uppercase because that's the basic) - I either go with too much or too little support if I try lower it down...

I will try things you guys mentioned. Tnx. I guess it will come with more practice now that I know what is the problem, and if you and someone else has any more ideas, it's appreciated ;)

Nikola

When I add more exhale pressure then needed, what comes from it is that I have problem with stamina/endurance, cause my voice gets tired after a bit of singing. I can't sing too long (maybe after 30mins of constant singing my throat gets tired a bit) because it's demanding to sing with max support. So I can't sing longer shows like 2hours. I can hit really demanding notes, pretty high, but it's just that I somehow over-do-it when exhaling, and if I try to lower that pressure I will sometimes not be able to hit those same notes because I guess then my support is not enough... so I guess it's hard for me TO FIND CORRECT BALANCE BETWEEN TOO MUCH AND TOO LITTLE SUPPORT (I intentionally made that uppercase because that's the basic) - I either go with too much or too little support if I try lower it down...

I will try things you guys mentioned. Tnx. I guess it will come with more practice now that I know what is the problem, and if you and someone else has any more ideas, it's appreciated ;)

Nikola

i hear what you're saying, but keep in mind when you support correctly, you will take all the pressure off the throat. sounds like more of a throat issue...just trying to help.

hear what you're saying, but keep in mind when you support correctly, you wiil take all the pressure off the throat. sounds like more of a throat issue...just trying to help.

Bob: This is an excellent point. Part of support is supplying enough breath energy, and the other part is preventing too-much breath energy.