I was pondering these metaphors and thought I'd see if I could expand it some. Let me know how you see it! 

Easel is the pedagogy/coach

Canvas is the formants

Paint is the phonation

Colors are the acoustic qualities & vocal modes

Brushes are the intrinsic muscular configurations & appoggio

Frame is the musical context/setting (band, choir, acapella, singer w/ instrument, musical, etc.)

Lyrics are the finished image

Lighting (as in a gallery) is amplification & vocal effects

That may work for someone who understands painting.

Each person has a preferred path of metaphors. I approach from physics and math, at times. Other times, it is just a feeling, a focus I maintain.

The difference is what values one brings in from other life ventures. Former member Tommy, a martial arts champion and instructor said it best, "Train like you plan to sing. Just like I teach my students to train how they will fight, not how they will dance or look good."

Others want to be able to sing anything and everything in the known world, and that is okay, too. And there are some singers who can do it. And have worked long and hard at it.

• Administrator

Hello Kevin!

1 hour ago, Kevin Ashe said:

I was pondering these metaphors and thought I'd see if I could expand it some. Let me know how you see it! 

Easel is the pedagogy/coach

NO. THAT WOULD BE EQUIVALENT TO THE MICROPHONE OR PIANO. THAT IS A FACILITY, TOOL, ... NOT A PEDAGOGY/METHOD OR A COACH. THE COACH AND METHODOLOGY WOULD BE THE SIMILAR TVS METHODOLOGY AND COACH... A REAL BOOK, ONLINE COURSE, SEMINAR... ( A MEDIUM TO COMMUNICATE THE METHODOLOGY , ETC...), AND THE COACH WOULD BE ... THE COACH. I REAL PERSON.

Canvas is the formants

YOUR METAPHORS ARE PERSONALIZED AND ESOTERIC, WHICH IS WHY THIS IS FUN, BUT... I DON'T THINK SO. THE CANVAS SEEMS MORE LIKE AN ORIGINAL BACKING TRACK. A NEW CREATING THAT IS READY TO GO, BUT IS NOT YET CREATED... IT COULD ALSO BE A THOUGHT OR SOURSE OF INSPIRATION FOR LYRICS, MUSIC, INSTRUMENTATION.

Paint is the phonation

YES, PERHAPS. PAINT WOULD BE MAKING VOCAL SOUNDS... GOOD , BAD OR UGLY.

Colors are the acoustic qualities & vocal modes

COLORS ARE PRECISELY YOUR FORMANTS, SINGING VOWELS, ACOUSTIC MODES... YES.

Brushes are the intrinsic muscular configurations & appoggio

YES, OK... THE PRECISION MOVEMENTS OF THE HAND AND EYE ARE THE SAME AS NEURAL LINGUISTIC AND AUDITORY IMAGERY EXPERTISE IN SINGING.

Frame is the musical context/setting (band, choir, acapella, singer w/ instrument, musical, etc.)

MAYBE... PERHAPS ITS THE TEMPO, KEY THE SONG IS IN, CONTEXT/STORY...   INSTRUMENTS ARE AGAIN, TOOLS, FACILITIES...

Lyrics are the finished image

PART OF THE FINISHED EDGE. THE POETRY PART, BUT NOT THE MUSICAL PART.

Lighting (as in a gallery) is amplification & vocal effects

NOT AMPLIFICATION... THAT AGAIN IS A FACILITY YOU HAVE TO HAVE... BUT YES, VOCAL EFFECTS ARE NOT SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO HAVE.

Hi Kevin,

see CAPS ABOVE>

I like the insights you guys have offered. I appreciate the chance to get out of my own head on stuff like this every so often. Sometimes it results in correcting or altering my thinking. this is good. Yes, this metaphor thinking is just fun mostly yet, meaningless if it doesn't at least lend just a little understanding to the subtle nuances of singing, and vocal anatomy. Thanks!