Sign in to follow this  
BadCat

Need some help with side noise

Rate this topic

Hello, 

i am new to this forum and  i am as you will hear not a trained singer. I started making some recordings and came across some problems i am not quite sure how to get rid of. I published this video on you tube which shows the problem: I get  a lot of side noise and i am not quite sure what this could be caused by. My cables/ mic are not moving. What is the reason for the side noise? Any suggestions? Also very thankful for other tips how to get the job done better! I am singing through a cheap mic and recording in audacity, adding some reverb, that is all. My first record (Shape of my heart) was  a little better regarding the side noise but i did not change anything aside form singing closer to the micmbwktmK_UFE. Here is the You tube link 

Thanks for all help! 

Andy

Even though some mics can make a difference, I don't think  your inexpensive mic is the problem. I think the signal is too hot going in or out of the interface. The recording is suffering from clipping, aka, digital distortion of the worst kind. And the problem with Audacity is that you cannot see active input level. You have to kind of guess at it. I know because I used to use Audacity and even have a thread on it in the home recording section. Then, I switched to Reaper, a world of difference. Though I did have some good recordings with Audacity. Even a blind hog finds an acorn, once in a while.

Next best thing is to ask what kind of interface you are using. Does it have an LED read out for levels? If that is the case, look for less than 50 level, nowhere near yellow, let alone red.

Also, I don't know if Audacity plug-in updates now has a de-esser, but a de-esser is not just for singers. You can use it to get rid of string squeaks on acoustic guitar, too.

Again, trust me, I know, I have made recordings that sounded like yours, using Audacity. Audacity is a bit awkward to use but the problem usually starts at too high an input from the mic. Adjust your level on the interface. You can raise volume later in Audacity. It is so easy to raise volume on a quiet track, and nigh unto impossible to fix a track that is clipping from being too hot.

I completely agree with Ronws. Your signal is so hot that is creating a distortion and clipping. You have to decrease the input level of the mic. Cheers

Another thing with Audacity that helped me. Look up at the top bar where you see a slider control with the mic symbol. Move that down to about .67 or 67 percent. That reduces the amount of signal coming into Audacity, So, do that first, then adjust the level on the interface.

I look forward to hearing what you can do with that. Cubase is a good system, though a bit complex in the routing, because it is designed to "look" like an analog recording studio and if you have not worked in one, it can be intimidating and confusing, at first.

And I agree with Tristan. I tried Cubase once and got lost. I did record something with it, by accident. But I could not remember how to do it and this was inspite of reading an instruction manual and watching a few videos. Now, I could also be dense, maybe. But it seemed so complex, having to choose channels and busses, and whatnot. But I don't want to discourage someone else. I do know that I started on Audacity, which was awkward and had limitations and then I switched to Reaper and I am completely happy with it, including the set of plug-ins that come with it, though I did get aftermarket (and free) vsti for bass and drums.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this