Sebastian Bach distortion vocal technique?

Rate this topic

SwedishRocker

Hello

What vocal tehcnique does sebastian bach uses on the high notes? For example at the end of I remember you. And in 18 and life when he sings the verse ''and works his fingers to the bone''

I've heard he uses a head voice tone and then he adds distortion over it like a overtone or something. Does anyone know?

20 minutes ago, Simon Öhlund said:

Well i guess that it works for different people. I am a baritone so i cant really go that high.

Keep working on your voice. With good info (like in TFPOS) and a good coach, you'll be able to sing this in time. I'm a natural Baritone, and can sing up to a B5 in a full voice, and my head voice maxes out at C6. I remember when I used to struggle immensely to sing a G4.

Also, the same concept of overlay distortion and grit applies to lower ranges.

3 hours ago, Simon Öhlund said:

Well i guess that it works for different people. I am a baritone so i cant really go that high.

It is still the same technique. I guess instead of asking how Sebastian sings it, the better question would be how could you or a baritone sing like Sebastian.

Sebastian has a really thin voice to begin with. He was on a show with Ted Nugent once and could not get deep enough or low enough to sing Cat Scratch Fever. Still Baritone can train to sing higher. But do not try to sound like Sebastian, Sing like you(what sounds and feels good to you) when singing his songs even if you must bring the Key down a little to match your range and voice.

9 hours ago, Simon Öhlund said:

I think you still have some things to learn. For example, Geoff Tate is baritone but he sang "Queen of the Ryche." 

Granted, you are talking about the distortion being used by Baz. And I would second MDEW's advice and find what works for you.

12 hours ago, Simon Öhlund said:

I'm probably what would be considered a high baritone in classical terms, and I thought I would never be able to sing high. Let me tell you, voice classification for what you want to sing is BS and meaningless.  I'm singing tones I could only dream of months ago, and I'm pretty sure that applies to most everyone else. 

Watch this good video by Robert for more clarification: 

15 hours ago, Simon Öhlund said:

Hello

What vocal tehcnique does sebastian bach uses on the high notes? For example at the end of I remember you. And in 18 and life when he sings the verse ''and works his fingers to the bone''

I've heard he uses a head voice tone and then he adds distortion over it like a overtone or something. Does anyone know?

hey there i do know how he does it. I actually have sung this song live many times in my band Metalshop. I have a lecture only website for raspy/distorted vocals vocals you can check it out. hope it helps ;)

4 minutes ago, Danielformica said:

hey there i do know how he does it. I actually have sung this song live many times in my band Metalshop. I have a lecture only website for raspy/distorted vocals vocals you can check it out. hope it helps ;)

Which website is it? :D

• Administrator
On July 12, 2016 at 8:17 PM, muffinhead said:

I'm probably what would be considered a high baritone in classical terms, and I thought I would never be able to sing high. Let me tell you, voice classification for what you want to sing is BS and meaningless.  I'm singing tones I could only dream of months ago, and I'm pretty sure that applies to most everyone else. 

Watch this good video by Robert for more clarification: 

Thanks for sharing Muffin...

Hey, have we trained in person yet?

10 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Thanks for sharing Muffin...

Hey, have we trained in person yet?

No, unfortunately, not yet. I hope to get in a skype lesson with you by the end of summer, but I can't make many promises as I'm kind of broke right now.