Would? AIC cover..

Rate this topic

I think you should definitely include this in your set. Your tone, minus distortion is just a shade lighter than Layne Staley, which is fine. But it sounded close enough to the original that I had to listen really, really hard to make sure you hadn't just given us a rip off the cd.

I think you should definitely include this in your set. Your tone, minus distortion is just a shade lighter than Layne Staley, which is fine. But it sounded close enough to the original that I had to listen really, really hard to make sure you hadn't just given us a rip off the cd.

Thanks man! That's a huuuge compliment to me, being that Layne is who inspired me to start singing. I know what you mean about my tone being a little lighter, I've been experimenting with trying to get a darker tone, but I haven't been able to accomplish it yet...damn genetics, lol

At least you accept genetics. You having a lighter tone than Staley is no crime or detriment. I would say that your tone was similar to his, just lighter. Of course, everyone is used to the Staley version. And the newer singer sounds similar though I think his low end is actually darker than Staley's. That is, Staley could be a bit light and whiny in the low and dark and foreboding in the high. The newer singer has a darker low end. You have a light tone throughout, even with distortion, now that I think about. Which is still a fine sound.

As for me, you don't have to sound like Staley exactly in order to do justice to this song. What is important is that you hit all the strong points of this song and brought emotion to it that it deserves. And that puts you on par with any pro, including Staley, in my opinion.

Yeah, I noticed that too with their new guy. I was watching a couple live clips of recent shows, it seems he has a "thicker" sound than Layne. His distorted parts seem to have more of a "beefy" sound as well. He sounds good, and sounds close to Layne at times...I'm glad Cantrell didn't go with a complete Layne clone though.

Yeah, I noticed that too with their new guy. I was watching a couple live clips of recent shows, it seems he has a "thicker" sound than Layne. His distorted parts seem to have more of a "beefy" sound as well. He sounds good, and sounds close to Layne at times...I'm glad Cantrell didn't go with a complete Layne clone though.

Quite true. A good example is Brian Johnson of AC/DC. He really does have a different tone than Bon Scott had. But, just the same, it is a good match for the band and its music. Plus, he really seems to get along with the guys. But the most heartwarming thing for him was Scott's parents' acceptance of him in the band. They were so blown away by "Back in Black" that they made a special point to let him know how well he did and how well he fits with the band.