Let's Do a TMV World Song Together!

Rate this topic

JonJon

Hey man, great work! Just a semi-offtopic suggestion: Could you edit your first post in this thread with all those links? So much easier to find them again then instead of on the 11th page :)

Gonna start studying this one now!

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Mohler said:

Does the tune have a place for me anywhere in it?  I can probably manage an E4 but don't ask me for an F! :D 

u tell me, only u can listen to it and know what u can sing.

the verse goes up to e4, sing what u can. Who knows what all will come in, but if u send me something half decent I can use it.

There are also many unique ways of building a tune. for example off the top of my head, when it goes "im going to sing if its the last thing that I do". Thats over a C#m chord. one could actually sing that line monotone on a lowish C# note etc. or double a line somewhere an octave lower

this is one of my all time faves...nice apocalyptic vibe. Dig the part where he says "out of mind and reason, everyone's to blame".  One voice is singing a melody but there is another voice singing monotone..which is cool!   So that could also be done in a lower octave and mixed in lower etc.

or throw in some soulful adlibs or drug induced gibberish. Whatever u got brother

Peace, JJ

(and dont worry, on the guys who can sing really good, im going to detune them all anyway, hehe)

15 hours ago, JonJon said:

(and dont worry, on the guys who can sing really good, im going to detune them all anyway, hehe)

Even though I know this wasn't directed at me (for obvious reasons), I felt compelled to respond: No need to worry about my tracks, they will be naturally detuned and offtuned (or just in an exotic scale)... :24:

44 minutes ago, ronws said:

These plays on words are very pun - ishing.

side note.  I did a search on this forum for "Roth"..for DLR. I see you are a fan.

Last couple days been listening to lots of VH mostly for the voice. Wow, DLR was actually a killer vocalist. Lots of soul. Very versatile and lots of swag etc. Never heard anyone else do the high train whistle thing he used to do. mainly listening because I need to start working on my belting since I have my headvoice working decently ATM. I probably start a new thread when im not dog tarred lol

Besides, a nice belting thread is always good for some free entertainment

11 hours ago, JonJon said:

side note.  I did a search on this forum for "Roth"..for DLR. I see you are a fan.

Last couple days been listening to lots of VH mostly for the voice. Wow, DLR was actually a killer vocalist. Lots of soul. Very versatile and lots of swag etc. Never heard anyone else do the high train whistle thing he used to do. mainly listening because I need to start working on my

On 8/14/2016 at 9:57 AM, JonJon said:

Hold your tongue, I heard them say.

Keep it down, play it safe.

Who are you to think, you should be heard, anyway?   <-----(yes, its wordy but it fits lol)

So I stood silent, and good men died.

I watched the world, live a lie

And now we're running out of time

Im only one, but still im gonna play my part

You speak your mind, yeah im gonna sing my heart.

Im gonna sing if its the last thing that I do

Sing it for you

Back to the wall, I been here before

Stand or fall, and cry no more

Still I admit, it feels like the end

Into the fire, once again

Im only one, but still im gonna play my part

You speak your mind, yeah im gonna sing my heart.

Im gonna sing if its the last thing that I do

Sing it for you

The breakdown if you want to try to match the lyrics to the music

Verse 1a      Hold your tongue, I heard them saaaaay. Keep it down, play it saaaaafe.

turnaround/release  (who are you to think you should be heeeard anyway)

verse 1b      So I stood silent, and good men died. and I watched the world, live a liiiiieeeeee.

Prechorus    And now were running out of tiiiiiiime.

chorus          Im only o-one, still im gonna play my part.   You speak your mii-ind, yeah im gonna sing my heart.

midpoint       Im gonna sing if its the last thing that I do

halftime       (sing it for) yoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu

v2                 Back to the wall, I been here before. Stand or fall, and cry no more.

Still I admit, it feels like the end

PC                 Into the fire, once agaaaaaaain

Chorus etc

I've got this beast mostly figured out, chord wise and progression, but you have me confused in a few places.  "And now we're running out of time" and "

chorus          Im only o-one, still im gonna play my part.   You speak your mii-ind, yeah im gonna sing my heart.

halftime       (sing it for) yoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu"

Maybe this is why there have not been more posts about other peoples progress with the song. Or have you been receiving email from other members with their effort?

1 hour ago, MDEW said:

I've got this beast mostly figured out, chord wise and progression, but you have me confused in a few places.  "And now we're running out of time" and "

halftime       (sing it for) yoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu"

Maybe this is why there have not been more posts about other peoples progress with the song. Or have you been receiving email from other members with their effort?

What exactly is the question? lol

Chords for the changes "And now we are running out of time".  Sounds like are going from G#m to either G or F#m to C#m to the B, Leading to the chorus in A then either G#m or Amj7 for that little change in the chorus.   I am just not sure of the progression in those areas.

Seriously, I forgot some of them already lol. The whole song is sort of a play on Emajor and Eminor. Also the verse plays with A minor to A major. Lots of VHalen and Jimmy Page in my chording. The sus chords are from Eddie and the sharp4 sound is from Jimmy and Eddie

intro - E/G# to E/G      2 notes only. pinky is on 7th fret of the A string. index finger goes from 4th fret down to 3rd fret on low e string. That sets up the whole vibe of the song....major to minor etc

2nd intro - C to D to C#m. again, this is just a play on A minor to A major. C is from a minor, C# is from A major. So its an implied minor to major feel.

In this song, a lot of the chords have the root on the A string. So the C,D,C#m chords are basically just 3 notes power chords and I either let the open b and e string ring, or I might finger a sus2 chord. So sometimes the C chord will be a cmaj7th, x35500 and sometimes it might be Csus2...x35533. Same with the C#m chord. Its really just a C# power chord either with open b and e or like this x46644.  Very Van Halenish.   The first time I hit the c# (.22) you can clearly hear that I muffed it lol

verse. C to D to A major, or Asus2. The A chord would have been this fingering x07600 which is really a sus2 if I picked the open b etc.  its possible I could have thrown in an Amaj7thish chord like this x06600. All of those type chords are cool because it leaves the index finger open to mess with the open strings etc

"release" "who are you to think..etc"  I think the chords are E,B,A and it sounds to me like the A has maybe the D# in it? probably the B was either all or part of this x24400 or x2x44x and then the A was maybe this? x02440.  Either way, essentially its E,B,A I think lol

Prechorus - 4 chords. (trust me, we can argue over chord naming conventions just as much as we argue over vocal terminology lol)

E/G#  4x2400, E/G 3x2400, c#min7th x42400, Bsus4 x24400.  The first time thru I think I just sort of hit this x2x400...u can hear its sort of weak sounding. The fingering on those chords...basically the index and pinky are holding down these 2 notes xx2400 then add the ring for this one 4x2400 and the middle for this one 3x2400, then the ring again for x42400. The index and pinky dont move on the first 3 chords

Chorus:

(im only one...) Esus4 to E, A#4 to A.  very easy fingerings.  022200 to 022100, then x0224x to x0225x   (that last chord would technically be A5addb5, or A5add#11...same thing)

(im gonna sing) c#m to c#sus2 back and forth   x46654 to x46644

(youuuu) G#m to A. probably power chord fingering 466x44 (pinky mutes g string out of habit but I do hear the minor 3rd sneaking in hear and there) and the A is probably this 577600 with the open strings either played or not played

then there is the Esus4 to E again

verse, prechorus, chorus again

Bridge    E5b5 078900. I always say #4 as opposed to b5 because when I use it, I use it for the spacey sound, not for the bluesy sound, but the chord namer says E5b5.

Then E7/D, or D6sus2b5. Basically the same chord moved down 2 frets lol.  056700

Then CM7b5, again, same shape moved down 2 frets. 034500

solo vamp   f#m, G, A. On the G is was just hitting the root note. Then C slid down to B...I muffed the C lol. The B is again the sus4 type with open strings x24400 etc

Then its just the chorus chords out

Not sure why that would hold up anyone though, the rhythm track and the melody is already there

15 minutes ago, JonJon said:

Not sure why that would hold up anyone though, the rhythm track and the melody is already there

People have their own methods. if you are having trouble with a line it can be easier to hear the chord by itself are to be able to play the progressions slower to get the line.......... then jump in on the recording.

I also have a bass line in mind but was screwing up in those parts because my intuition was leading me in another direction.

6 minutes ago, MDEW said:

People have their own methods. if you are having trouble with a line it can be easier to hear the chord by itself are to be able to play the progressions slower to get the line.......... then jump in on the recording.

I also have a bass line in mind but was screwing up in those parts because my intuition was leading me in another direction.

Well the bassline would show that the chords arent really exotic or too progressive, they just have interesting flavors, but the progression itself isnt too crazy

8 minutes ago, Felipe Carvalho said:

working on it right now

cheers brother, please ignore the fact that I got tired and sang the harmonies on the last chorus out of tune lol

Brian Wilson called and asked me to save him some space but I had to tell him we were already booked up lol