Sign in to follow this  
Blahblah86

Have any of the teachers here ever had lessons from another?

Rate this topic

Thread title.

and if so, what did you learn? No need to be super specific. Pitch, registers, power, effects, bridge... What gaps did they help with and why did you choose them.

Actually, I'll extend that. Do any of you guys still get coaching and if so... Why?

second set of ears? New ideas? Don't sound like Sam Cooke and Coverdale but your coach does?

I still study.  I study because my coach is WAY better than me..He gave me specific exercises which in turn unveiled exact registers and makes sure i sing the vowel we are singing no distorted wonky sound ing vowels. I understand everything we work on however his execution is perfect every time...2nd set of ears yes always need that. Not a lot of new ideas as its not rocket science once you understand and execute the principles you just need to do it over and over for 15 years ;). And he makes sure I do it right.. It keeps me humble and wanting to reach his skill level..

Not necessarily lessons, but whenever I have the chance to have a conversation with Dan for example I take it. In fact with anyone that sings in a manner that I find interesting and that can add to my arsenal. We tend to get too focused on one mindset, and we forget other things, I remember when I was working on "Gentle Art of Making Enemies", I was trying to use distortion on the ending section but it was sounding weird, in 2 minutes Dan suggested me a different way to approach it and it sounded the way I intended.

I do take lessons with my teacher, not as often as I would want it, but still do. As Daniel said, another set of ears that knows what to look for and knows your voice very well, you just can't replace it. Usually its details and looking at different styles now.

Yes, but like Felipe points out, it doesn't feel like a lesson, more like a "peer review" and exchange of new ideas. Great coaches look to their peers for more ideas and growth. So ya, I can say I have "coaches" or advisors.

In particular, I find it very helpful for feedback on singing, performances because when we are singing, it seems to be the most at risk of being delusional or not hearing what we need to hear. As many of you know, it is hard to be perfectly honest and objective with your own singing. Sometimes you need a trusted colleague to tell you where it needs to be better.

Although I'm not a teacher, I am always reading, and watching and studying as best I can.  There is ALWAYS something to learn, re-learn, or re-re-learn.

There's always that song(s) you need/desire to sing and you just know you're not able to do well, sometimes it's range, other times it's skill/coordination..or along comes a singer that just makes you keenly aware of your shortcomings as soon as he opens his mouth.

I consult with Daniel, I've consulted with others not on this forum, and one or two well known singers I was fortunate to have reached.

So many opinions, so many options, so many who will like your voice or not like your voice...you have to be courageous with this stuff.

You have to move out of your comfort zone, challenge yourself!

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Robert Lunte said:

Yes, but like Felipe points out, it doesn't feel like a lesson, more like a "peer review" and exchange of new ideas. Great coaches look to their peers for more ideas and growth. So ya, I can say I have "coaches" or advisors.

In particular, I find it very helpful for feedback on singing, performances because when we are singing, it seems to be the most at risk of being delusional or not hearing what we need to hear. As many of you know, it is hard to be perfectly honest and objective with your own singing. Sometimes you need a trusted colleague to tell you where it needs to be better.

I think it's easy to be honest about your sound but not objective.  Also you can't always tell when you have minute problems that are hard to distinguish.  The problems are not minute but their detection is difficult to the singer.

On 8/25/2016 at 5:06 PM, Blahblah86 said:

Actually, I'll extend that. Do any of you guys still get coaching and if so... Why?

second set of ears? New ideas? Don't sound like Sam Cooke and Coverdale but your coach does?

Bob can sound like Sam Cooke. He did an awesome job on "Change is Gonna Come."

On 6 October 2016 at 0:10 PM, ronws said:

Bob can sound like Sam Cooke. He did an awesome job on "Change is Gonna Come."

Who's Bob??

'His name is Robert Pulson'... Fight Club.

5 minutes ago, Blahblah86 said:

Wait, so is Bob a real person? Or is it an inside joke and my fight club quote accidentally hit the nail on the head... 'We are all Robert Pulson'.

Bob is Videonow, the user.