Sign in to follow this  
aravindmadis

Is a preamp required for home studio

Rate this topic

Hi Folks,

I am using a MXL V67 G condenser mic into a Scarlett 2i2 interface.  Sometimes I also use a Shure Beta 58.  However, the gain on the beta 58 is insufficient with the scarlett 2i2.  I really want to have a setup that allows me to record using my dynamic mic and also add some warmth to my vocals.

X
by TurboMac

Some of the forums I came across suggested a preamp.  Has anyone here have any experience with preamps.  Do they make a difference with a setup like mine.  Also, what is your feedback on Studio Projects VTB1 for vocals.  The other preamp that I have in mind is the presonus tube pre.

Thank you..

Hi Aravind, Are you sure about this man? I own a scarlet 2i2 and use it with my condenser (Behringer B2) and my dynamic mics. It has a switch for the phantom power (needed by condenser mics). I never felt the need for another pre-amp, as the scarlet has already 2 mic pre-amps. On the other hand, I also own a digitech vocalist pedal, which has pre-amp, EQ, compressor, and many effects as well. I haven't used it for recordings yet, but I always use it at band rehearsals in a studio. As I run all the effects and EQ from my pedal, the sound guys just keeps everything flat and the gain lower. Based on my experience I think you'll have no problems with another pre-amp, just start with low gain levels and never get to the red on the halo light. Cheers

Hi aaravin.

The main problem of the Scarlett 2i2 is not the pre-amp (which is on par or better than many higher cost gear). Its problem is that the headphone gain is too small. So to hear yourself you would need to turn the gain knob more than it can go ( I have one), you just don't get loudness on the headphone mix.

The gain is more than enough to record a sm57 or 58, just don't expect it to be too hot on the channel.

Solution to the monitoring problem: headphone amplifier. Behringer HA-400 for example. Then you simply turn down the volume of the backing track, and use the headphone amplifier to crank it up.

On the warmth thing... I get a "tube" vibe from this. Just don't bro, decent tube pre-amplifiers are expensive, and the low cost ones will just mess up your signal chain.

31 minutes ago, Felipe Carvalho said:

Its problem is that the headphone gain is too small.

I totally agree, but they say the new Clarett systems that are replacing the Scarletts has a hotter monitor gain.

2 hours ago, YouCanSingAnything said:

Personally, I don't want my preamp to add anything to my signal.

LOL... boy I sure do! That is what preamps are for. Without the added color a preamp gives you, you are very amateurish in you sound. That is why all the home recording interfaces are interfaces + a preamp. as well. Recording without a mic preamp, either solid state or a plugin, is to do so with a major component in your recording chain missing.

I agree with the others. Even these two channel interfaces like Scarlett or my m-audio m-track have a suitable pre-amp in them. And really, from what I have learned, a number of pro engineers cannot stop themselves from using a favored pre-amp.

First, it is how they did it in analog recording.

Second, a favorite pre-amp doesn't just amplify, it "colors" the sound. 99.99 percent of the time, color the sound means it filters out or rolls off the highs, making a "warmer" sound, but tape recording did that as a whole, anyway.

So, yeah, I think your problem is monitoring, not how much gain you get with a dynamic. Dynamics as a rule, do not produce as much gain, even with a pre-amp. That heavy magnet in the voice coil impedes gain, which is why they are great for recording loud sounds like drums, guitar amps, and Sid Vicious, who's voice went to "11."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this