Sign in to follow this  
Felipe Carvalho

The+Quest+for+Power

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, The Future Vocalist said:

Um Halford is far from glam rock even far from glam metal. We're talking about the guy who's nickname is Metal God!

That synth intro sounded pretty glam to me. 

3 hours ago, muffinhead said:

You know, even though I'm not so much a fan of glam rocK, that song was pretty badass. 

I just think that its an example of a song with no real dynamics. I guess im old fashioned

even something like this has more of a tension/release going on. He applies the power at certain points:

1 hour ago, The Future Vocalist said:

Um Halford is far from glam rock even far from glam metal. We're talking about the guy who's nickname is Metal God!

they got a bit glammy as far as the outfits around the time of the "turbo" album. That whole album was a bit commercial/mainstream for them IMO. It was a big departure...and short lived

Judas-Priest-Turbo-era.jpg

I wouldnt even know what to call music from that album. Even 'glam' was aimed at late teens/young adults. Some of the turbo album seemed to be aimed at about 12 yr olds lol:

That being said, they were never a "glam" band. In those days they were simply considered to be 'metal'.

Judas-Priest.jpg

and their signature song....not glam at all

THIS was glam:

tumblr_nb8jiaNeRr1sovzsio1_500.jpg

ratt11.jpg

cinderella.jpg

"glam metal"   sort of a silly term lol. "glam" music was generally more happy/party music whereas metal was darker

17 minutes ago, muffinhead said:

Glam rock at its worst 

Guitarist is pretty good, but just messes around instead of playing something with any melodic value. 

yeah, they were sort of a spoof/parody...but with sick technical skills

Just a short reminder ok.

The wall of text + video is meant to help identify issues for those times when you find that you are not getting the punch you want from the song. This applies both for covers or your own material.

Its not meant to be rules to evaluate songs with, this would be madness. Not even as guideliness to follow strictly in order to compose. If a part of the song is lose on rhythm, if you don't use much dynamic range, but it sounds good and strong in the way you want, don't try to fix what isn't broken.

The core idea is that if you are singing and you find that you are lacking power, you should always check the music content first and only AFTER you clear all these aspects you start to worry about the technical side, which can be relevant too but is not magic.

Good topic, Felipe. This is an example of powerful singing for me. 

When it hits the climax at about 3:21 or so. He's not straining out a thick one to make it 'powerful.' He's just following the dynamic of the song to its conclusion. The voice follows an emotional arc and rides the music. That's powerful.

I can only imagine how terrible this song would be if he was trying to make his voice as big as possible.

the Priest started out very glam in their outfits. Look at what they were wearing up to Sad Wings of Destiny. Rob was wearing these diaphanous blouses and tights. The other guys were a bit glammed, too. What happened was, as Rob became more comfortable with himself, he began to wear what he wore when he was living after midnight, which was often. And his get-up for going out to the bars and dance clubs was a biker get-up. Because he did and does ride a motorcycle. So, yeah, the ultimate leather look of the band came from aspects of Rob's life.

10 hours ago, muffinhead said:

Glam rock at its worst 

Guitarist is pretty good, but just messes around instead of playing something with any melodic value. 

Lol. I saw these guys live. Singer Jim Gillette had a vocal solo. Smashed a crystal glass with his voice as part of it. Hilarious and horrible. But worth seeing. 

16 hours ago, Collin571 said:

If you're really on a quest for power the path to the dark side leads to many abilities some singers might find to be...... unnatural...

Collin,

There will be times where some singing tasks are counter natural:)

7 hours ago, VideoHere said:

Collin,

There will be times where some singing tasks are counter natural:)

Will I be able to lift my x-wing out of the swamp on Degobah?

18 hours ago, Collin571 said:

Will I be able to lift my x-wing out of the swamp on Degobah?

Try not. Do, or do not.

But I just can't, Yoda.

And that is why you fail.

57 minutes ago, ronws said:

Try not. Do, or do not.

But I just can't, Yoda.

And that is why you fail.

god luke sounds so whiney in this qoute, but dAAAAAAD I can't do it... wahhh.  Although Homer simpson did say trying is the first step towards failure but according to yoda there is no try.