Fun with the tongue! (my first time)

Rate this topic

So of course T4P and other systems mention the tongue. The tongue should be doing this and that. TBH I havent paid much attention to it. The one or two times I tried to "anchor" my tongue I ended up gagging, so that was that.

Never looked in the mirror etc. Didnt feel like the tongue was actually DOING anything so I paid it no mind

So today i am at work minding my own business. I got to singing this phrase over and over:  'tell me why have weeeeee forsaken'

i was really working the heck out of the "ee"

I go in the bathroom. Im still singing and I just happened to look up in the mirror.

HOLY COW!!    My tongue was all balled up looking lol. It was way back in my throat and looked like it was 4" wide.   I instantly thought of one of the Tenelli vids where he was talking about making the "ee" on high notes with the tongue raised etc

Anyway, just thought id share. i was laughing for about an hour on that one

Anyone else got any tongue stories? (G rated lol)

Peace, JJ

I took a drive today to take my mind off of crap that life throws at you..........I decided to do some Sirens ......... I stuck the tip of my tongue way out of my mouth.......... I can image what other people thought as they saw this long haired bearded man sticking his tongue out and screaming like a banshee............. It was fun and took my mind off of a few things.

While doing this I also decided to see what would happen if I tried to put a groove in the ROOT of the tongue like making the throat a bigger tube...........interesting things happened with the sound.

I will let you guys try that for yourself instead of trying to describe the results............... I did learn a few things that will help getting the sounds I want..

Do not stick the tongue out so far that you damage it. You are just getting the tongue to stay out of the back of the throat not strain it.

1 hour ago, MDEW said:

I took a drive today to take my mind off of crap that life throws at you..........I decided to do some Sirens ......... I stuck the tip of my tongue way out of my mouth.......... I can image what other people thought as they saw this long haired bearded man sticking his tongue out and screaming like a banshee............. It was fun and took my mind off of a few things.

While doing this I also decided to see what would happen if I tried to put a groove in the ROOT of the tongue like making the throat a bigger tube...........interesting things happened with the sound.

I will let you guys try that for yourself instead of trying to describe the results............... I did learn a few things that will help getting the sounds I want..

Do not stick the tongue out so far that you damage it. You are just getting the tongue to stay out of the back of the throat not strain it.

so you gonna go all Ken Tamplin lizard tongue?    I did see a vid of classic opera tenors and one of thems tongue shot out for a brief second lol

10 minutes ago, JonJon said:

so you gonna go all Ken Tamplin lizard tongue?    I did see a vid of classic opera tenors and one of thems tongue shot out for a brief second lol

That was just for Training.......... and scaring the Neighborhood kids.:)

The same principle applies to Kens Tongue(not the scaring of children), It keeps the tongue from bunching up in the back of the throat and allows for more space back there.  You don't stick your tongue out while singing......you train the tongue to NOT bunch up in the back.  Some need this and some do not. The only way for you to find if you are causing constriction back there is by trying it and see if it makes a difference to your sound.

9 minutes ago, MDEW said:

That was just for Training.......... and scaring the Neighborhood kids.:)

The same principle applies to Kens Tongue(not the scaring of children), It keeps the tongue from bunching up in the back of the throat and allows for more space back there.  You don't stick your tongue out while singing......you train the tongue to NOT bunch up in the back.  Some need this and some do not. The only way for you to find if you are causing constriction back there is by trying it and see if it makes a difference to your sound.

the only time ive ever tried to DO anything with my tongue, it just felt wicked unnatural. so i dont bother at this point. i was just surprised today because I didnt realize what all the tongue is doing on its own lol

Im more sensitive now, I can feel it lifting etc

See, that is part of the problem for some people. For some, what FEELS natural is not what you need to do.

My early recordings were me doing what FEELS natural. It sucked. I know it and others knew it. I had to make the RIGHT things FEEL natural.

If you are sounding good now, do not worry about what your tongue is doing. It is only when things are NOT working when you need to "DO" something to straighten things out or find the problem. And the DOING something is during Practice and training. While singing.........sing.

14 hours ago, MDEW said:

I've been thinkin' bout buying a Pink Cowboy hat and a pair of Yellow Speedos for my next trip. :headbang:

You to do that along with the lizard tongue thing. It worked for Chaim Weitz. It's just a matter of setting. What seems scary or odd in the car works perfectly on stage.

Oh yeah, Chaim Weitz. Stage name, Gene Simmons. You might have heard of him.

36 minutes ago, ronws said:

You to do that along with the lizard tongue thing. It worked for Chaim Weitz. It's just a matter of setting. What seems scary or odd in the car works perfectly on stage.

Oh yeah, Chaim Weitz. Stage name, Gene Simmons. You might have heard of him.

A pink Cowboy hat and a pair of yellow Speedos is pretty tame compared to just about anybody in Pop Culture.

I think I will just stick to the ZZtop Theme. I would have to put in too much work to make the Pink Cowboy Hat and Yellow speedos work as an ensemble.

For ZZ just add a leather vest and I am good to go............

39 minutes ago, MDEW said:

A pink Cowboy hat and a pair of yellow Speedos is pretty tame compared to just about anybody in Pop Culture.

I think I will just stick to the ZZtop Theme. I would have to put in too much work to make the Pink Cowboy Hat and Yellow speedos work as an ensemble.

For ZZ just add a leather vest and I am good to go............

Yeah, and you already have the requisite long beard. You have to have that to be in ZZ Top, except for Dusty. He is the clean cut one on the drums.

It is a shame that no one really chimed in about the tongue in this thread.

I agree that the main thing to be remembered about the tongue is to keep it relaxed and out of the way, but it can also lead to problems if you have not learned to tame the tongue. It is also a powerful muscle and can be used to focus sound and shape the vocal tract. Also to anchor or position the larynx.

In any case, you need a funny hat. Look at the one Billy likes to wear. I thought it was out of character at first, but he likes it and it is comfortable and does not impair his vision.

While are at it, go ahead and get a '34 Ford Coupe Deuce. Put in a 351 W(indsor) and either a Holley double pumper or a six pack. Hurst extended shifter. And of course, a nice suit. Every girl's crazy about a sharp-dressed man.

5 hours ago, VideoHere said:

Oh man guys,  gotta step in here.....You posted the new singer.  Good, yes...but let's never forget the original!!!  :headbang:

(You know I think this Foreigner remake (above) has Lou voice in the back!)

I did that just to bait you into the conversation, I knew you couldn't go without correcting Lou Gram. :) Welcome to the party brother