Sign in to follow this  
leithinkjesusiscool

question on different vocal traditions

Rate this topic

Hi!

I am taking vocal lessons from a woman in the classical/church style. We work with singing easy melodies (I play them on piano as that is my instrument) as I am not too experienced in singing. I guess a vocal coach in blues/jazz/gospel would focus on that too but also sing blues scales and microtones. 

I have a question to you who are very experienced in singing: What is the difference between taking vocal lessons in the classical/church tradition and jazz/blues/gospel tradition?

And yes I am aware that there are many subtraditions in these vocal traditions. And please understand that I am asking this so that I will know more information and therefore can take practical descision in life.

Depends on how classical you find the church situation to be. I say that because of the example of Elvis Presley.

He grew up in Tupelo, Mississippi. He lived in and went to church in the part of town that was predominantly african-american. So, he learned to sing there, too.

In fact, my mother and my grandmother, when they first heard is first record on the radio, they thought it was a black man (their words, exactly.)

7 hours ago, ronws said:

Depends on how classical you find the church situation to be. I say that because of the example of Elvis Presley.

He grew up in Tupelo, Mississippi. He lived in and went to church in the part of town that was predominantly african-american. So, he learned to sing there, too.

In fact, my mother and my grandmother, when they first heard is first record on the radio, they thought it was a black man (their words, exactly.)

Elvis is gospel music but what I meant by classical/church tradition could be eg Salve regina, bä bä vita lamm or Il mio tesoro