Voice classification?

Rate this topic

Geophile

I'm assume this forum must get a ton of these requests from us newbies...but anyway here it goes... I've recently become interested in singing, and after much searching around on the internet/listening to music, I'm pretty sure that I'm some sort of a tenor, but what do you think?

Here's a clip I just recorded. Sorry about the song being kind of loud in background, but I guess that just means you have Jeff Buckley to compare to :)

http://www.box.net/shared/tcv4alnx0u

Thanks,

Geophile

Why do you want to know what you "are"? Keep in mind that these old-school vocal classifications were meant to place people in particular roles in operas and musical theatre roles. It doesn't matter so much with popular music because in popular music you sing to your strengths. You write/perform/transpose songs so that you can hit the money notes where you want them.

But if you really want to be classified--and I don't blame you because there is so much perceived identity in "what kind of singer we are"--these incredible guys on this forum are probably going to ask you to sing a simple scale, so that they can hear how your voice adjusts as you raise and lower in pitch.

I'm assume this forum must get a ton of these requests from us newbies...but anyway here it goes... I've recently become interested in singing, and after much searching around on the internet/listening to music, I'm pretty sure that I'm some sort of a tenor, but what do you think?

Geophile: IMO, MrBounce is right. This performance is inconclusive about which of the 'classical' voice types you might be. The differentiators are vocal weight, vocal tone quality, vocal range and vocal tessitura... ability to sustain a range. They are mixed together so that it happens that many different sounding voices can 'sing tenor', particularly a 'tenor' role in an opera.

Even in classical circles, teachers take a 'wait and see' approach to voice classification, because a voice will almost always change character with training. For a contemporary singer, classification is not so useful.

So, for now... I think its safest and most accurate just to say that you are singer of contemporary music, and leave it at that until you've sung more, and have a sense of your range and have developed your distinctive vocal color.