Tongue issues

Rate this topic

akarawd

Each time I stick my tongue out while singing a phrase I realize that although I don't have any tendency to pull it back in,

it is kind of rugged on the edge and not smooth. Does that indicate tension and is there a way to reverse it ?

Also, does singing an "ee" vowel with the tongue out help any aspect of singing ?

Thanks in advance,

Thanos

Each time I stick my tongue out while singing a phrase I realize that although I don't have any tendency to pull it back in,

it is kind of rugged on the edge and not smooth. Does that indicate tension and is there a way to reverse it ?

Also, does singing an "ee" vowel with the tongue out help any aspect of singing ?

Thanos: Its only the rare singer that needs to let the tip of the tongue out over the bottom teeth. Most can do all the vowels just fine keeping it just touching the inside of them.

Singing ee with the tongue out may help a student get over depressing the root of the tongue, but generally, its not needed.

My apologies Ron and Steven.

I read both answers and I realize I should have said that I only do that as an exercise to "keep the throat open", I don't actually sing like that.

So the question is, does doing this exercise actually help to keep the throat open ? I've read it and heard about it but can someone verify ?

Also, does the rugged edge of the tongue (around the tongue) indicate tension ?

Thanks in advance,

Thanos

I think that James Lugo has some "tongue out" exercises. I wonder why he wants his students to do that.

on the dvd, he tells you the tongue out is a prelude to screaming and helps train you to keep the chords closed on the full voice high notes. i'm using his cd lately, and i like it a lot.