Just A Theory

Rate this topic

Matt

I have a theory that when a lot of people strain their throats before getting stomach support, its because a lot of the time, instead of managing and resisting breath with your abdomen, you're trying to resist and manage the air by constricting muscles in the throat?

From my own very new revelation about this I can say that whenever I feel I "lose" my support on especially high notes the throat and neck muscles wants to jump in and wants to take over. Not necessarily by constriction, but like a kind of balance act. If I let the throat take over in comes that "pulled" notes feeling and I end up shouting in comparison.

So I can only agree. And the constriction felt in the throat can both be just trying to push the airways open, as well as constrict the throat "pulling out" the sound. When I feel the support I have none of the above and I can sing quiet or loud without hardly using the throat at all. Been doing it for exactly 39 minutes and 21 seconds so I'm pretty new at it though :)

the trick i think is to maintain an open, relaxed throat by trying to maintain a steady larynx position and maintain a yawning mouth position...i'm developing the ability to isolate the vocal folds and keep everything else relaxed as much as possible. i also inhale a lot less than i used to.

you can actually support a tone without inhaling. in my progress to nail "waiting for a girl like you" i find if i sing the "i've been waiting" part exhaled, it sounds better than if i fill up with air to sing that section. go figure lol!!