Rate this topic

I had mentioned this singer "Chris Stapleton" in another thread. Thought I'd share this video/song he recently published. I was really struck by the numerous examples of solid vocal athleticism that arise in this performance. I try not to overanalyze every good vocal too often, cuz sometimes I loose the "soul" of the song in my ear from all of the deconstruction I use to understand the vocal.  Couldn't resist on this one. Still "hearing the soul" to date.

I've tagged all the key words that I believe I recognize "done well" in this composition.

Personally, I'm most impressed with his mastery over what I would assume are the critical configurations which bring great resonance with comparatively low level respiration. I'm convinced that, with the best possible formant, combined with the strength support of skilled appoggio, the "illusion" of a belt is created. He is singing at a relatively low volume yet, the intensity of his voice is sustained. The same nuance is applied to his vocal distortion, which he employs mostly in the higher notes.  Those are my impressions. 

Thanks Kevin. I can get this grit up to F#4, but not able to take it higher.

Have you been able to sing this the way Chris is singing here?.

It seems odd that of all the Youtube tips on singing higher and Metal/grunge and Screamo distortion there is nothing on that country growl. Even Chris seems to be doing something a little different than what Gregg Allman or even Travis Tritt would produce.

9 hours ago, MDEW said:

Have you been able to sing this the way Chris is singing here?.

Even Chris seems to be doing something a little different than what Gregg Allman or even Travis Tritt would produce.

Yes, I really enjoy singing his material, fits my voice well!

Chris's distortion reminds me of Jorn Lande. The texture is very rock edge yet, he's simply applying it in a countryrock setting. Sounds great, very powerful. His trills are really natural and bluesy, never overused!

9 hours ago, Kevin Ashe said:

Yes, I really enjoy singing his material, fits my voice well!

Chris's distortion reminds me of Jorn Lande. The texture is very rock edge yet, he's simply applying it in a countryrock setting. Sounds great, very powerful. His trills are really natural and bluesy, never overused!

Chris S seems to be using a similar distortion and style(in a country setting) to Chris C.

Gregg Allman is using a distortion or growl that is typical of country/blues. You can find tips for creating that Cornell sound but not for the Growl of country/Blues like Gregg is singing here. 

Chris (pick one) seems to be using a type that involves a Twang type distortion and Gregg is using low open throat with distortion or growl that involves movement/vibration in the soft palate.  

Any thoughts? Am I way of base here?

I'm currently learning how to do that distortion, it's the only one I've been able to do in a healthy and sustained way. Support almost doesn't change in the mid range, it's the high range that needs more "push" at least on my voice and right now.

I really concentrate on keeping the base phonation's sound height of the larynx and embouchure position, and only moving the parts OVER the vocal folds, and picture like there is nothing obstructing the actual folds. 

Just ask me if you wanna know something else that I feel or whatever, I must say I found this less than two weeks ago though so take it as a grain of salt, lol :)

I forgot to mention that using it on my lowermid to low range is almost impossible, at least for now... It seems that I need the smaller space a higher note requires to make the walls -or whatever vibrates inside the vocal tract- to be nearer and be able to collide.

I can do this from like E4 and up. Doing this on B4 and up is easier ( when I get the coordination right), as probably my twang helps with the walls touching.

Distortion in the low range can be found by using Ae sound and over twanging it. I feel the vibration behind my nose. If you have ever watched the Movie "Dumb and Dumber" There is a scene where Jim Carry does the most annoying sound. It is the same sound that leads to lower distortion.

Don't try to do this loud. It is easily done with a fry configuration on the vocal folds the vibration is just faster. Once you can do this with the Ae fairly easy try adding just a little to a song. It does not have to sound great you will just be learning how to turn it on and off.

Interesting, this thread blew up somewhat nicely! 

Seababergmanns! You've got some real potential head voice coordination showing up in your vocalizations. I would get some lessons from one or more of the coaches within this site to help you with a focus on how to keep your progress ongoing! good luck!!

MDEW, you make solid points regarding the identifiable differences between these talented singers.

I have butchered the terminology before yet, if I was going to attempt to distill a concise analysis I think I would say; the Chris Cornell style of distortion seems to make more use of the false chords for it's intensity while, a more Gregg Allman style might also be layering in some lower larynx texture/fullness. I'm sure there could be measured a higher respiration rate with Allman vs. Cornell. I would also imagine (since we're talking also about sound color here) vowel modification variances as well. . . (?)

Would love to hear an expert's perspective if one is reading and so inclined. 

Thanks!!!

It could be that all three are using false fold distortion and the difference is that Gregg is using a lowered larynx which MAY give the distortion a deeper sound coupled with a darker initial tone.

I can say that when I am attempting to make the Gregg Allman sound I feel as if I am spreading the back and lower portion of the throat making it a wider tube and when doing the Chris sound I am making the back of my throat more narrow. 

Gregg does not "Look" like he is giving this sound more effort and his mouth seems to stay in a closed somewhat relaxed position. I still have the feeling that Gregg is using some type of growl that involves the soft palate vibrating rather than JUST false fold type or Over twanged type of distortion.