Singing Double Vision by Foreigner

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, Draven Grey said:

Before I dive into this, where do you feel you're struggling or want to imrpove?

I guess the biggest thing I'm worried about is the high notes, like in the lines "my mind is racing but my body's in the lead" and "I live all my years in a single minute"

Just to be straight, do you want tips BEFORE you practice with the band? Kicking it with the band is the best way to go first. You and the band need to be in sync. Not you and your imagination or you and Karaoke. Record the band with you singing and without so you can practice at home with the recording.

Or is the band not even going to work on it if they think you cannot sing it? Changing key is also an option if it is too high for you at the moment.

What you presented here does sound like a solid starting point. 

13 hours ago, Clericsgonewild said:

I guess the biggest thing I'm worried about is the high notes, like in the lines "my mind is racing but my body's in the lead" and "I live all my years in a single minute"

I noticed a bit of strain there too.

Get a cocktail straw and start humming those parts with the straw in your mouth. Don't push. There should be minimal air coming out of teh straw, and it should'nt feel like you're pushing once you can relax those notes properly. To test if you're balancing the air and relaxing well, you can hold your nose. When holding your nose, there shouldn't be a major change in pressure from when not holding your nose. 

I know this sounds really strange, but it does so many great things for you. If you use it on warmups, it cuts down your warmup time to 5 to 10 minutes because of the push-back gently stretching out every muscle you engage. If you use it like I described above, for training a song, it is an incredibly helpful  assitant in getting proper resonant placement, tuning your formant, relaxing any tension, balancing air pressure, and more -- in short, training your body not to push on those higher notes, but just sing them without tension intead. I suggest using it for cooling down after an hour or more of singing too.

However, don't do it for more than 10 minutes at a time. The gentle stretching I talked about will become more like power yoga, and you'll end up wearing yourself out instead of helping.