Sign in to follow this  
leithinkjesusiscool

Your warmup experience...?

Rate this topic

Hi!

I would find it interesting to know how you deal with your; so called, warmup exercices. Personally, mine are eg. breathing (mostly just the hiss exercise), lip trills, vowels. They are of course, also more than just warmups as I use them for learning intervals and so on. 

I've tried the hiss exercice while preparing tea in the morning but...the more physical things I do the shorter my hiss become but on the other hand you sometimes play an instrument and sing which is physical. Might be difficult to get the right body position when being in the kitchen.

People, on the other hand, talk about how you can do your exercices while preparing tea and things like that. Has this worked for you or has it not worked? What are your experiences?

Below is the basic warmup I teach, which is adjusted to the student's needs. The stretching part also can double for resonant placement, vowel modification, and a decent beginning for tuning the formant. But that's not the focus during the warmup. Earlier in the morning, I have to do the stretches a few times over, slowly expanding the range on the top end. But in general, such as warming up after noon, I can get a solid warmup in 10 to 15 minutes.

If the hiss you're talking about is what I'm thinking, I find it useful for lung expansion, but not so much in warmups. In case I'm misunderstanding, let me explain: Hissing an "sss" sound with some good pressure behind it both pushes out air and holds it back at the same time. This compresses the lungs and opens up tand stretches the air pockets, thus gently expanding lung capacity over time. It's not unlike what hospitals have heart patients do after surgery when they blow into a small plastic device and are suppose to make a ball go above the line on that device. I personally like to use a cocktail straw instead of a hiss. This exercise helped me build to being able to belt out a note for 43 seconds. I hope to get up to a minute eventually. Not that I ever need to hold a note that long, but having the extra air means I'll likely never run out while singing a phrase.

Yes that the hiss! Have you ever tried yourself or heard students doing hiss and warmups when doing their daily stuff like making breakfast or something simmilar? Isn't that really the nice thing about singing: you can practice while doing other stuff or is this a no no? I think it can help a lot.

Why do so many vocal teachers believe in the hiss exercice instead of breathing exercices using weights on the stomach?

i actually went to an opera Singer who told me to lie down on the sofa while he put a weight on my stomach. He said this is way better than the hiss exercise. I think he is into something. I actually use a 5 kg weight at home. What do you think?

I don't recommend the hiss, as most students tend to either push too hard, or not enough. Getting very light and squeaky on higher pitches while doing big sirens into the straw, and tracking (humming while buzzing the lips) will both do much more for warming up your voice. There are some great breathing exercises in The Four Pillars of Singing too, if you want to develop better air support. The weight on the stomach is completely unnecessary. Also, a spirometer or volumetric exerciser will do much more for expanding your lung capacity than the hiss will.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this