Rate this topic

I didn't forget about this. I, admitedly, simply don't like Kamelot very much (although my Khan is my favorite singer in their genre), and I really don't like trying to imitate other singers or even singers other people's songs for that matter. So, although I learned the song and his particular sound color for it, I'm having a VERY difficult time finding the motivation for time to record it and put my voice out there in that style. HOWEVER, I am writing a new song, where I use a very similar sound color in the lower range. I may still do Ghost Opera, but I need some other covers out first. It has taken a back seat to piano and vocal covers of 30 Seconds to Mars' "End of All Days," Bring Me The Horizon's "Avalanche," and a couple of remakes I'm working on for a coming compilation album, Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" and Genesis' "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight."

Pretty Felipe. Very theatery. It’s nick picking, but I would amplify brighter harmonics a bit. Shift forward the resonance a touch, or just EQ. Regardless, not really the point of your file, but thought I would chime in. Very cool, enjoyed the clip.

Like Draven , I am busy making music. Been auditioning a lot and working on recordings, and putting the details on a one week vocal athlete intensive in Seattle with Draven actually and a MC events in Europe in April...  I don’t have time to suddenly interrupt my todo list and toss in a new song.... but have been working on a big epic, original  prog tune and a few covers.

Does anyone have the bed track for this tune? Lol... :4:

Yeah I normally would boost a couple of dbs around 6k, just for the sake of clarity (specially recording on the SM57 like in this one).

I've structured this approach when I first saw this thread and forgot it. Was going to do the whole song, but I also am not finding much time lately.

I can send the BT  your way if want it. But I got this from youtube...

I made a short clip about it. This is just on my cell phone. No special EQ or something like that. Was a little bit too close to the phone so excuse the plosive puffs.

https://app.box.com/s/i2sb1pcz3u4irg6nz9cxwinini0uw72l

The key vowel you can train this sound on is /OE/ as the 'e' in the word 'herb'

Of course the EQ'ing also takes part in his special sound. I also think that the fact that he is a lower voiced guy is involved too. Fabio Lione would probably not be able to get the same sound color, no matter how hard he tries.

Hi folks! I suddenly found out myself in this topic and it seems like I'm late for about a year, but still I have feedback to your words and instances regarding Roy's technique. I have to affirm that much of the sound is made by EQ, reverb, but the main tone color is very hard to repeat for someone else I believe. Mainly because of Roy Khan is semi baritone - semi tenor vocalist. He has bright and high start with average thickness and darkened head tone below the bridge, enriched with the chest impact indeed. But the trick is not just in the color. I firmly believe that his voice shines in phrasing because he makes ongoing whole phrase that pour up and down with mixing resonators parts. The examples above were mistaken, cause you folks have lower or\and crispy voices and in chest part your voices are swinging too much. The voice should be narrow or thin, that's why reverb makes the holiday with it. Also I have to highlight that you can easily catch up the thing if you're familiar with academic singing. Because Roy makes the sound round, darkened and the most challenging little thing is his thinning to pianissimo notes that are above the bridge. I occasionaly have similar vocal cords to sing in his key tune if not the timbre. Tommy Karevik is a weak vocalist in my subjective view for Kamelot. He is tenor and cannot sustain thick high notes, although he does imitate the tone, but his voice is higher actually and sounds poorer. Tenor voices shine at heights, not at low notes, whatever they do.

Here are my samples to some kamelot songs that you can check. They comply with Roy's tone.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c10jjf70x2fze68/AAA7WPsKRiBhK4yYI8rSxWbda?dl=0

Maybe I'll add some challenging song parts if you'll be interested in it. I have been singing for ten years or more and sorry but that was recorded on laptop mic, but still decent for a sudden attempt.

Guest Marco
On 10/15/2017 at 4:57 AM, Felipe Carvalho said:

The direction I would train would be something like this:

https://app.box.com/s/kmblv1rr8n45hk68rhk9qyuue2u7oyvf

Dunno if its "rich" in the terms you mention, but this is possible to learn for sure. EQ pretty much flat (low cut), just compression and reverb.

This sounds like the Phantom of the Opera, but not like Roy Khan. His voice, though it's deep and warm, has a beautifully rich palette of overtones (which he supports by twanging and lots of vibrato). Not to forget his greatly mastered passagio.