Rate this topic

You're very pitchy in general, and your resonant placement is completely incorrect. Look into eartraining for vocals. There are many voice apps that will play a pitch or interval and then let you try to match it. Also, humming into a pitch wheel can help you match pitch as well. Winging in pitch is a listening skill, more than it is  coordination or strength like the rest of singing. 

You head voice sounds off because of resonant placement being in the throat vs being in the soft palate. Hold a finger to your bottom lip and try to sing up and over it. This usually will point your vowels up into the soft palate and get you out of your throat. Also, start humming and buzzing your lips through songs 2/3 the time, instead of just singing them. It will help you get used to a better placement of you voice, among other things good for singing.

Keep taking lessons. Get them to show you how to place your resonance and vowels better for singing, and give you exercises specifically meant for learning to sing in pitch.

16 hours ago, Draven Grey said:

You're very pitchy in general, and your resonant placement is completely incorrect. Look into eartraining for vocals. There are many voice apps that will play a pitch or interval and then let you try to match it. Also, humming into a pitch wheel can help you match pitch as well. Winging in pitch is a listening skill, more than it is  coordination or strength like the rest of singing. 

You head voice sounds off because of resonant placement being in the throat vs being in the soft palate. Hold a finger to your bottom lip and try to sing up and over it. This usually will point your vowels up into the soft palate and get you out of your throat. Also, start humming and buzzing your lips through songs 2/3 the time, instead of just singing them. It will help you get used to a better placement of you voice, among other things good for singing.

Keep taking lessons. Get them to show you how to place your resonance and vowels better for singing, and give you exercises specifically meant for learning to sing in pitch.

Thank you very much for your feedback! Been having big trouble with the resonance placement for a while now. I know I get very off pitch which I am aware of, just experimenting to see where I am, and your feedback helped me figure out what I do wrong. Doing lots of self studies as I can't afford singing lessons atm, so any recommendation on a particular exercise that'll help get the resonance placement right?

Edit: Should the feeling be in the head?

Until you can afford singing lessons, be careful about simply getting tips from Youtube and the like. However, if that's all you have, then make sure they are reputable teachers. The first video on my Rock Singing Lessons playlist can help, as can any of Robert Lunte's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDravenGrey

https://www.youtube.com/user/roblunte

22 hours ago, Draven Grey said:

Until you can afford singing lessons, be careful about simply getting tips from Youtube and the like. However, if that's all you have, then make sure they are reputable teachers. The first video on my Rock Singing Lessons playlist can help, as can any of Robert Lunte's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDravenGrey

https://www.youtube.com/user/roblunte

Didn't know you were a vocal coach, wow. I also have the exercises I've done within the session with my coach on cd, so I have lots to do. Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/9/2017 at 4:15 PM, Caleb Ojong said:

It sounds off but keep working on ur resonance placement.

Thanks Caleb. I've been practicing since then and came up with this: 

This song is what I was practicing with my coach as he told me to sing songs within my range.