Rate this topic

28 minutes ago, Electric said:

I'm wondering if it's maybe safer to scream WITH grit because it's added resistance above the glottis, sort of like a lip bubble is added resistance above the glottis.

probably a little safer AND easier I guess. Like u say, the slight back resistance gives u something to push against and also feedback, like a "tactile" reference etc.

Also, depending on what sound u want, u can just use your support to sort of 'throw' the sound (air pressure) up against your hard palate area for a nice bright sound. I dunno 2 much about screaming though, I dont think ive ever done it lol

To add to that video: The key to good grit and screaming is to not just learn how to create the distortion, but also how to relax it so much that it's as effortless (if not moreso) than singing clean. The "witches cackle" or "creaky door" I show in that video is only one way to get used to vocal fry. From there, I often have students start on a light-mass head voice note a fourth or fifth above their bridge, then add fry to it. That's great for learning how to amplify a fry or false cord scream. With grit, it's similar, but I focus a lot more on pulling the voice into the soft palate and bleeding the glottis by relaxing just right.

44 minutes ago, Electric said:

Damn the passage at 2:50 here is killer

I was really into them when I first heard them. Still like them etc. Im sort of love/hate on dudes voice. Sounds like he totally shot it at some point but he still sings hard lol. Love to see the laryngoscope pic

liked this song right from the start. Starts off smooth and light and he builds into a nice scream of course

Yeah that is a good song too! I’m not convinced his voice is shot I think he is just always pushing the boundary of what his voice can do. Like trying to carry massive amounts of chest up to D5-E5 and he can’t do it and it gets distorted instead. I really love his voice man 

yeah, great singer but to reiterate for the nth time...its tough to sound like Ronnie lol

besides whatever natural vibe RobL has to his voice, it sounds to me like he is lifiting the soft palate and really trying to move the resonance way up high (out of the lower throat) to make sure he can get the range...which is exactly what id do too! lol Problem being it slightly loses some of that roundness that Dio gets 

Guest Rizzler

There's a reason that none of them sound like Ronnie. You're probably not a singer and so can't hear the differences but they are tremendous.