• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Folks, 

This is one of my favorite songs.  I posted a version earlier, this is after I did some work on my musculature.  Now I am able to retain more of the muscular sound even on my high notes.  The verse as many will attest is one of James La Brie's finest performances. It has taken me several years to reach this level.  For now happy with the outcome.   Thanks to anyone who drops in a sentence or two.. 

• Administrator

I totally agree. What a gorgeous, PERFECT song. I absolutely ADORE this song... the lyrics are so incredibly uplifting and it just rips your heart out. Love the heroism in this song...

... and a great song to learn how to sing if your a student of singing. My compliments to you for choosing to learn this song. It tends to be one of the songs that voice technique students learn. Its a student standard.

- Turn up your vocal sin the mix, your buried a little bit. 

- 2:52

- Pretty good!! ... it is a hair flat, the formant/resonance tuning, not really your ears... Barely enough to notice... But, I want you to Sob more on that part, put more cry into your voice and tune in a touch more /ae/="cats" to the formant tuning. This will lift your soft palate more and amplify brighter harmonics. These details will fix the flat formant tuning.

- 3:10 - "disappear" ... love the vowel on "... pee-uh"... nice modification.

- 4:33 - More of the same.. .Sob harder!!!! its too heavy... thin out your vocal cords with more Sob.

- 5:04 - "again"... very cool... nice vibrato.

- Really like your passion. You definitely are enjoying this song and are connecting with it, what it means and what its about. You "get it" in regards to this song. That is genuine. Of course, it is hard not to be when you sing this song. What an amazing gift James LeBrie has to be able to sing THIS song, night after night... I would never get tired of it.

... GREAT JOB!

I have coached this song several times as well.

Here is Fabricio Fonseca from Brazil. 

Shigeki Morimoto from Japan:

... damn, this makes me want to finally get around to singing it, and making a video too. Thanks for the inspiration Aravind!

Thanks Rob for the kind words :) 

Yes I have seen both these videos.  The lesson I have learnt is to find a way to use our own voice.  I think my voice at this range sounds heavy, possibly both due to my singing and my voice perhaps being slightly higher.  Fabrico obviously has used a much lighter tone consistent with his voice.  I actually love Shigeki's version most musically and tonally, but I don't like his diction, possibly because it is his second language.  

James La Brie himself has a very light voice, lighter than mine for sure and he sings it very close to Shigeki I feel...  

If we analyze the same song sung by different voices, there is so much to learn.  I would love to hear a Baritone with a really heavy voice cover it, so yes, I look forward to your version.   

• TMV World Member

Good job on this song, good quality. !  I love this song, too.  Last few times I have heard James sing this and other songs live it was horrible.  Something is going wrong with his voice.  It is very harsh sounding and off pitch.  Plus, you can't understand a word he is singing.  It sounds as if he is singing continual ah vowels to me. Maybe he will get it worked out soon.  I hope so because I love Dream Theatre.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:57 AM, Rufus Rufus said:

Good job on this song, good quality. !  I love this song, too.  Last few times I have heard James sing this and other songs live it was horrible.  Something is going wrong with his voice.  It is very harsh sounding and off pitch.  Plus, you can't understand a word he is singing.  It sounds as if he is singing continual ah vowels to me. Maybe he will get it worked out soon.  I hope so because I love Dream Theatre.

James's voice is a bit of an acquired taste.  It can get very shrill and bordering on annoying.  I can understand the hate that he receives on forums. 

But in some of the band's earlier albums, the material is so darned difficult from a singers' standpoint.  The quality of their musicianship is extremely high and all members are incredible in their own repertoire.  This is simply one of the highest quality of musicians who have worked together.  La Brie's songs in the earlier albums are so demanding that it is difficult to do justice to them in the studio, let alone in a live environment.  Most armchair critics do not realize how difficult this material is even for professionals to pull off.  I have the highest regard for La Brie's work, even if it is in the studio.  It is borderline impossible to sing such a tough repertoire for decades.  The only exceptions I have seen are Dio and Bruce Dickenson.  

La Brie does modify heavily even when it is not required.  So yah, it can be very tough to understand what he is singing.  He is harsh sounding because his technique is toast.  He is off pitch because he is signing again with a wrong technique. 

Still respect to this man..