Help in developing the grit

Rate this topic

Daniel Castillo

Hi everyone im daniel,l im newbie in this forum, so yeah i started to sing early this year inspired by singers like jonny craig n tyler carter, one thing i noticed about jonny craig is that when he tries to sing high there is a little distortion, this is one of my favorites songs by him, u can hear that grit almost all song, i mean i can sing high but that exactly technique is what is hard for me,im self-taught so i dont have i coach so, i wish u could help me or at least understand it n how to perform it or develop it, 

the main thing about grit or distortion is how you DONT want to get it. You generally DONT want to do things that irritate your vocal cords. If you are trying a sound and it starts tickling your throat and/or making you sound hoarse then obviously you are doing something sketchy lol

one way to start getting a better gritty rock tone is simply to start compressing the sound more. Use more air pressure. Start singing lightly but then start squeezing it a little tighter etc using air pressure building up from the diaphragm up etc.

There are a lot of ways to get various distortion noises. Mainly just avoid trying to get distortion from down low in your throat where the vocal cords are. If you can draw a imaginary line around your head where your mouth is....experiment with different ways to get various rattles and such from ABOVE that line

Start off slow and dont overdo it lol

Peace, JJ

Try and hold on to vocal fry all the way through your range you won't be able to get super loud but it will give you some grit. Or think of Cookie Monster and sing with that feeling combined with your normal voice . Also pretend to buzz a doorbell on and off. It's way easier to show than write about it good luck