Sign in to follow this  
thematrixiam

Live vocal software - re: duo capture ex

Rate this topic

Hey guys.

I've got The Rocal Duo-capture ex Preamp that connects to the computer.
I also have a CAD M179 mic that I use with it.

Just curious about software that would be good to go with it. Both for live singing effects to hear while I sing, as well as recording... More specifically for live use, though.

mic.jpg.52ba5f0ae5ebd8d4eaf17081918a24bf.jpg

duo-capture_ex_front_angle_gal.thumb.jpg.ec49bb3ed9e7dbc38270fd5eed93809f.jpg

This has sat for a few days, Just curious if anyone can help with this.

Still trying to get it to work.

I am trying to use Camtasia, but the video cuts out for some reason when I turn on the preamp.

I assume you're asking about recording software, like a DAW (digital audio workstation)? What version of Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux? The main problem with any of them is Latency, which comes down to your interface, computer hardware, and drivers. If you want to start messing with an inexpensive yet powerful DAW, try Reaper. I personally prefer Logic on OSX, and Ardour for Linux. Cubase, Digital Performer, and a lot of other out there are good for Windows. I don't claim that Windows is good for them, but that's a difefrent discussion. My students have had more problems with audio on Windows 10 than I have ever seen before. Reaper has a free trial period that seems to last indefinitely. It's also very stable live.

They're usually done separately, then synced in the video editor. DAW's usually have minimal video editing capabilities. And video editors usually have minimal audio capabilities. Video recording is a separate thing altogether, and depend on the intended purpose. There are waus to route the audio from your DAw through your phone and record a video on your phone live, with the processed sound. I don't know as much about that, especially since I don't own a cell phone. If you need a sollid video editor, DaVinci Resolve is amazing, even the free version. I prefer Final Cut Pro and then doing certain things in Adobe Premiere, and recording on a separate device. But DaVinci is definitely a big contender. They've added a ton since I last used it, and it may be the all in one solution you're looking for, even for live video capture. However, doing them separately usually results in better quality.

hmm. I never thought about doing them separately.

So you are saying that you run two separate programs at the same time. I guess I could try that. That might make sense as to why my webcam seems to crash when I run my preamp.

Nope. Doesn't work with two programs.
There must be some sort of conflict going on. Somehow my webcam only works when audio is being sent out. I would like to be able to record audio from my mic for better sound quality.

Any clue on how to fix this?

How do you go about doing it? I'm using Windows 10, by the way.

Windows 10 has a lot of issues when it comes to audio and video together. Sometimes it's the driver, sometimes the audio device isn't activated properly in the settings, and I have some students who have tried different things for months without success.  However, sometimes it was just an input setting in the software being used too. User error on the settings used to be the most likely culprit, but sadly, in Windows 10, the most likely culprit has changed to driver issues.

I personally can't stand Windows. I grew up knowing it inside out, because my brother and fatehr are both high-level software engineers. But I also got away from it as soon as I could because I always felt it was a Frankenstein Monster being held togetehr with duct tape. So if it's not simply the input settings of your software, I'm going to let someone else answer. 

I managed to get it to work. I could have been a fluke though.

I downloaded a new program called voicemeeter. Basically, you you set your software to use voicemeeter as the audio source. In VM you can set your sources, even allow for multiple sources. 

I am going to try a couple times to see if that is what solved it.

I did some other things right before though. I used skype. And I ran dxdiag. As well as fumbled with a bunch of settings. Problem with doing a bunch of things is when you do get something to work it isn't necessarily because of what you did. It could be that dxdiag managed to align my audio properly, and when I reset my computer it wont work again.

Just checking in to confirm that this does now work...

Now back to my original comment. 

Good software (DAW?) for vocal effects? Robert comments about using reverb, for one.

Thanks,
Matrix.

Draven is giving great advise here. I too am a logic pro x user and can’t recommend it enough. It is your daw, for recording.

jowevwr for live applications and video production, editing and syncing , logic is not really made for those applications. Your asking for three entirely different requirements. Recording , live and video production . That is three different sets of technology.

i think your a little confused about what technologies to use and what thry do and don’t do.

9 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

That is three different sets of technology.

Currently, I am using Camtasia for Video editing.
Voicemeeter for multi source audio tracking.
And Ableton live for audio editing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this