don't rule out the venue!

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Hidden

hi folks, i wanted to share an experience i had this past saturday at a new karaoke venue i returned to.

it was my third week there, and i remember the first time i went there i had a problem with phlegm. now

everybody in this place is good at the least, and there are many pro level singer regulars.

it's a very competitive environment and when i took the stage i could tell they were all looking to hear what i had. well, the phlegm kicked in and clogged some notes which didn't help but as the night drew on i felt i was getting a little sick so i left.

the following week, i went there again nicely warmed and started developing phlegm again and i know i didn't have the issue on the way there. another issue with phlegm was starting again. feeling very unsure of my voice and feeling like a plug was in my throat i sang, had issues, and left.

still wanting to go there and sing my best, i returned saturday and once again not only did i have phlegm, but my throat felt like it was closing up on me..well, to make a long story short, i finally figured out there must be something in that bar that i was allergic to... i didn't know what it was, but i asked the d.j. if there were any singers who might have complained about their throat. well, it turned out the place had a bad problem with mold which may have been the culprit. so as a test i went back into my car and sang and sure enough after 15 minutes or so, i felt my throat opening up and my voice was clear of the phlegm.

so moral of the story....don't rule out an allergic reaction from a moldy karaoke bar. don't rule out the venue.

Hidden

In 1998, I got to see Arlo Guthrie perform at Poor David's Pub in Dallas. For the duration of his performance, smoking was banned in the club. Because he can't handle smoke when he's singing, even if it's someone else's smoke.

I find that on cold winter days on the drive to work, I have problems and I know exactly why. The car heater does the job it's supposed to do. Dry out and heat up the air. The same air that's going past my vocal folds. So, I have learned not to sing strenuously or much at all if the heater is on full blast.

Varily, the best environment for the voice is a cool mist.