Judas Priest - Desert Plains

• Administrator

It's ok. Could be better. Your resonance is too throaty. You need to sob harder and thin out your folds ... resonate into more of a top-down position. Also your vibrato is forced and pushy.

Take one lesson with me and I'll help you to sing it about 5x better.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, SwedishSinger said:

No answers?

On 10/30/2017 at 2:39 PM, Robert Lunte said:

Take one lesson with me and I'll help you to sing it about 5x better.

Take that lesson with Robert ! ^^^

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

Coach, I know you can help Simon just as you've helped me and so many, many other singers achieve their goals !!! It's precisely why I suggested he contact you and take you up on your offer.  

"Things" are about the same as they were when we last wrote. To keep it brief, still in a battle with the "bureaucracy". Hoping that things will turn around and SOON. 

BTW, we're beginning our tenth year of TMV World as of this month !!! :cool::beerbang::headbang:

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

• Administrator

.... It's amazing how people claim how important their singing is to them. How its the "most important thing in their lives" or "I have a really important audition" or "I have been struggling for years and just can't get it" and on and on... And when you offer them the very help they seek for a measly $20... the price of a six pack of beer and a slice of pizza this weekend, they go dark.

Quite literally, the value of singing better, winning the audition, achieving your dream, etc... isn't worth $20. That is what it boils down to.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

.... It's amazing how people claim how important their singing is to them. How its the "most important thing in their lives" or "I have a really important audition" or "I have been struggling for years and just can't get it" and on and on... And when you offer them the very help they seek for a measly $20... the price of a six pack of beer and a slice of pizza this weekend, they go dark.

Quite literally, the value of singing better, winning the audition, achieving your dream, etc... isn't worth $20. That is what it boils down to.

You certainly won't get any disagreement from me. Hell, I spend more than $20 every time I go out the door ! But, I also have to add that some people just don't understand just how much it costs you to keep this forum up and running for everyones benefit ! 

Adolph C. Namlik
Western N.Y.

716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

I experienced a lot of the same when I coached bands for a couple of decades. It's teh same all acrosst he world. I watched many bands and artists complain about spending money on coaching that taught them, step by step, how to make money at their craft, and yet would spend thousands of dollars on gear without flinching.

• Administrator

My point isn’t to stress about my operational expense, that’s my choice. 

I even had a “donation” button up for about a year and received not one dollar.

My bigger point is that I just can’t get my head around this certain large  % of people that seemingly .... only want to sing better, achieve their dreams, pursue their life’s passion and all this profoundly poetic motivations for being interested in singing .... ONLY if they can have it all for free.  They want all of that, but it has to be for free. 

• TMV World Legacy Member

It all depends on frame of reference. 
Some people can pay a monthly fee for martial arts and go as much as they want in the week for it.
Singing lessons are typically charged by the half hour. 
I, for example, must work one hour to pay for one half hour of singing lessons. 

Singing lessons are very different from other forms of lessons. There is also no grade system, other than maybe royal conservatory.

If I were to take swimming lessons there is a set out flow that I need to be able to do before progressing to the next level. There is a direct connection between what is being taught and what a person is achieving. 

You need to be able to swim x amount of lengths, tread water for x amount of time, et cetera. 

From Sept to december I can pay 70$ to put my child in for 30 min swimming lessons.  for 10 lessons. So, that's 7$ per lesson.

That lay out is set to have my child learn a set skill. I know that the teacher will aim to teach them that skill and they can come out with a badge or paper, or something similar to say that they have now achieved this. 

I haven't been to a lot of singing lessons, but I find most of them are "not a school" and "student directed". Which basically means the student chooses where to go and the teacher has no promised direction. Not saying all are like this, only the ones I have experienced.

26$ to pay someone that day one tells me they have no plan, tells me I need to tell them what to teach me, and plays audio clips from their computer or simpler warmups than I use, you can see how I would think it was a waste of money. This is largely because I don't know what to expect, and the teacher never told me that he has lots of awesome information to provide me if I would just visit him for 52 weeks and pay them $1,352 a year for what he has to offer me with his years of expertise. 

The hidden thing is that the teacher may well be able to make someone the next big hit. Odds of them actually becoming a next big hit are next to none. But they might be able to sing good. Just like I might be able to swim good, but it being my dream, it will not make me into an olympic swimmer. How many Olympians get chosen every four years? 

The cool thing with the internet is that stuff becomes free. And software is available. Which means people value teacher assisted lessons even less. Why pay more when you can get it for free.

It only takes one kind heart to upload everything they have learnt about singing for free to make it available to the world for free.
It only takes one not for profit organization to make music software that can analyse the voice and detect notes, harmonies, etc. I am sure that it could even be programed to determine if a person is using their voices correctly because software can already pick up all the colours and the harmonies. 
Some simple programming, and then releasing it to the public.
Then have crowd sourced programming for player data saving analysing. This would allow for lessons to be geared towards a student. A computer never forgets. Never sleeps. Never gets tired. Never gets angry. A computer can create a lesson that adapts and changes to how a person is doing with difficulty and attention. Meaning it could be set to reward the student and have them ready willing and able to learn how to sing for 4 hours a day.

Four hours at 365 days a year = 1460 hours.
or, 2920 half hour lessons. 
Or, @ $26 per half hour lesson.  $75,920 per year.

Meaning. Realistically a person could learn more than the basics of singing online for free, but would get the value of $75,920 out of it.

But, that only takes one person, or group of people, to do it once, simply because they are nice. 

Other people might sell books or lessons based on total value earned. Meaning, it gets cheaper the more that are sold. Meaning, if 10,000 copies are sold then the rest of the world gets it for free. 

There are several reasons to see why people have a hard time grasping paying that much money to a music teacher. I do it because I want to learn. It is my "dream". But the reality is I will never be paid to sing. I will never be an Olympian. Because that's what famous singers are. Olympians.

In  reality, I am learning to swim. But paying more money. And not having any set plan. The good thing about singing though; I can't drown singing. 

You'll never be paid to sing, and you don't have a set plan (or choosing not to make one)? To me, that says you're not serious about singing. Learning to sing, perhaps, but not to the point you want to make a career out of it. You're choosing not to do so, for whatever reason that may be.

It's when someone says they're super serious, want to make a living/career out of it, and are willing to do whatever it takes, and then complain when it costs money for a teacher's time (especially a good teacher with proven results within their goal set), that teachers get frustrated like we talked about above.

There are great course out there that cover the material you mention, and don't cost a student thousands per year. Not everyone learns that way. There are great software trainers too, but I'm not yet convinced that one could replace a good teacher. Then there are those students who are passionate about their voice, train consistently, seek out the best courses, and really only need a teacher for a few lessons, to help them tweak a few things.

But to say you're serious about singing and only looking for free tips, there's a disconnect.

Not sure you follow me.

What I am saying is the way of the future for most if not all things is to provide things online, and online for free or really cheap. Simply because of logic. That is, if it can be offered online for free, then the only thing stopping it from being offered online for free is that no one has done it yet.

Several games used to be pay per month, and have converted to free to play. Now you can find free to play games everywhere. In reality, these are pay for extra systems. You're paying to either have fluffy things that are not usable but set you aside from someone else, or you are paying to do things faster than others.

There are also just plain 100% free things. Anything that loses it's copyright, for example. Abandonware, or books. That's all free.

I can put things onto youtube for free, or any other platform. This allows others to see what I am saying for free. 

The problem with uploading things for free is that people don't have the drive. They don't see the point. Youtube makes it too hard to make money. 

There is also the pay for one, free for everyone method. That's the perfectly legal method of a person buying a book, reading it, and then rewriting it or uploading videos that use the concepts and materials within the book. This of course is limited by drive.

As soon as someone figures out on how to get free labour to make stuff to give to people for free, but still make money, then you will see it happen more. (that already happens with youtube, but not good enough)

Draven said
Quote: "But to say you're serious about singing and only looking for free tips, there's a disconnect."

No, I am serious about logic. So serious, that I will discuss all avenues of a concept whether or not I actually care about doing it. 

Meaning, I care more about the logic of that concept.

Meaning... No, I paid for singing lessons online,  I am paying for professional training, and I am buying singing books as well. 

Draven said
Quote:
You'll never be paid to sing, and you don't have a set plan (or choosing not to make one)? To me, that says you're not serious about singing. Learning to sing, perhaps, but not to the point you want to make a career out of it. You're choosing not to do so, for whatever reason that may be."

I am serious about time and logic and effort made.

I know how to get from A to B... Being a professional singer is step Z43221.c5 

There is a "disconnect" between step A and step Z43221.c5 . In my mind I can not see a clear path. That said, I can see other clear paths and steps that need to be done before I get there. 

I do not see the point in saying I will make it to Mars. I very well could, but there is no point in lying to myself or others. When I see that mars is a few blocks away, then I could say "ya, I'll make it to mars". But until I can see that it is in my sights, there is no point in lying. That's just setting oneself up for failure.

That doesn't mean a person can't try to do better. 

If I am on a straight road. My house is at the very start. and your house is at the very end. I can tell you right now that I will never make it to your house on foot. Not even by car. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling you're quite a bit of a way away from me.  That said, I could tell you that I could easily drive on the road and drive forward. Nothing hard about that. Every hour, every day that I drive on the road I will get closer to your house. But it doesn't mean I am going to say I am going to go there until it makes sense that I would. Even if I were to drive up to the front of your house, you still have the whole other side of it... I now made it all the way there; physically I am at your house. But why on earth would you ever let me in? I am some random guy you never heard of that just drove half way across two countries to your door. you'd be a fool to let me in.

That's what singing as a professional is.

Which is why, I don't say that I am going to sing as a professional. 

It would make more sense to find the right people first. and know that I would have an in. Even with a map, I can't just get there.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, thematrixiam said:

Singing lessons are typically charged by the half hour. 

I don't think that is true. Most lessons are one hour. In my opinion, half hour lessons are just not productive. It isn't enough time to get warmed up, strengthened and have enough time to get some meantingfull progress on a song. I only do one hour lessons and when possible, actually recommend 2 hour sessions. The fact is, voice lessons that are 2 hours are the most productive.

I haven't been to a lot of singing lessons, but I find most of them are "not a school" and "student directed". Which basically means the student chooses where to go and the teacher has no promised direction. Not saying all are like this, only the ones I have experienced.

My program offers; video demonstrations to train along with, very clear instructions on what modules to begin and complete first in the lessons and the training page is divided into 4 phases which give a sense of sequence and progress in your training.

I also offer training workflow guides found at the MY Training page, below is what one of them looks like. These are used to show students what to read, what to study and what to train... AGAIN, more direction on what to do and when.

Anyone that completes TFPOS gets a certificate.

So, your not talking about my program...

The cool thing with the internet is that stuff becomes free. And software is available. Which means people value teacher assisted lessons even less. Why pay more when you can get it for free.

Seriously? This has to be explained?

To suggest that personal instruction for singing is not needed to sing well, is to demonstrate naivety and pretty much little clue about training voice. Respectfully, just saying...

Meaning. Realistically a person could learn more than the basics of singing online for free, but would get the value of $75,920 out of it.

Completely ridiculous. 

I perused the rest of your post, it doesn't really make a point other then, "people can learn to sing great for free" and "to give it away for free makes you "nice"...

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Draven Grey said:

But to say you're serious about singing and only looking for free tips, there's a disconnect.

Its just delusional or more likely, just completely out of touch of what serious singers are doing and what they value.

They would never make posts like that. 

Fortunately, there are some serious students and singers out there, Draven & and I work with them. Nobody I train on a regular basis or who has purchased my program and actually did the work would leave a post like that.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, thematrixiam said:

The problem with uploading things for free is that people don't have the drive. They don't see the point.

Yes. If you have nothing vested in it, you don't appreciate it and you don't do the work. PERIOD.

To clarify, my post is not about telling anyone to give stuff away for free.

It is about how society is changing. And how people that buy things realize there are other options.

Nor is it about me, or about Robert's course. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, thematrixiam said:

To clarify, my post is not about telling anyone to give stuff away for free.

It is about how society is changing. And how people that buy things realize there are other options.

Nor is it about me, or about Robert's course. 

Ok. thanks for the clarity. It sort of sounded like you were making a case for "you don't have to, because you can get it for free" which is just a lame point to make on so many levels. Glad that isn't what your saying.

Back to my original point then Rich... More and more people are lazy and don't want to work.  I believe that YouTube has done a lot to create a new virtual culture and expectation with people. Its free on YouTube and you can sort of get some tips, so when people are really ready to get better and stop watching videos for tips,... they seek programs and teachers and become put off when someone informs them that it isn't going to be free.

And "is too expensive" just doesn't hold up as an argument.... I have tried numerous times to offer services for $4.99. As a matter of fact, for the last 8 months anyone that signed up here was routed to a page out at my web site where they could get the entire TVS warm up package for $4.99... a deal so good, it is almost offense. NOT one person took my offer. $4.99... ?!  

• Administrator

Ok, so what is the business model Rich? They offer it for free, but... what? How do they make money, because I can assure you, they are not in business to not make any money because they just want to be "nice". Offered it for free initially and then made 600 mil... ok, I'm all ears. How do they do that? With advertising? Licensing? Merchandise? Paying for upgrades to the game? 

My son asked me to fork out $150 for his birthday that was essentially a fee that gave him access to new pokemon environments, powers, features in the game or something like that. 

From my understanding, pokemon go is still free. and is always free.
You pay to make your life easier in the game.
Not sure on their business model, but I am sure you can look it up.
The concept that gets people addicted to Pokeman go/world of warcraft/ etc is the reward system. It's this addiction that gets people to pay for things that they already get for free. 

You can try to download the app if you don't believe that it is free.
And You can easily look up how much money they made. 
It's not like I am lying about that.
And no, Pokemon go doesn't make money with advertising, to my knowledge.

The concept is called free-to-play
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play