The hardest song I've sang these years

• TMV World Member

The pitch of this song is like a rollercoaster (for me, at least), and this has caused me serious problems all the times I've tried to sing it.

I finally managed to get an overall grasp of it, but I don't know if it's acceptable or not. I would like to hear what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.

(Also, PLEASE someone tell me the note at 1:10 minutes!)

Cheers!!

• Administrator

Noriel,

Welcome to the Review My Singing service, happy to help you.

- What language is this? Is this French?

- It's so low... the note at 1:10 was ok.

- Are you singing to the original track? Sounds like you are. Can you get a karaoke track of this?

- It is pitchy and needs to be stronger. I think if you got a better backing track, that might help you on your pitch. It is a bit quiet.

- Generally speaking, you tend to be flat, or below the pitch. A lot of the pitchiness we hear is not due to your inability to hear pitch, but I think more due to the fact that the formant, or the resonance you are amplifying does not have all the necessary frequencies amplified. What I mean to say is the overtones or more accurately, the partials ( individual frequencies in each note ) required to make the not sound in tune with your ear are NOT amplified or tuned properly. This makes the ear hear only some of the frequencies, but not all. When the ear hears only some of the frequencies it needs to hear, but not all... it makes the voice sound flat. Some simple techniques would help you a lot.

1. First and foremost, fix your embouchure... or lift your top lip more when you sing. You need to expose your canine teeth, or smile big when you are singing. You will be surprised at how much that simple tip will help your singing. Notice how that amplifies brighter/higher frequencies in your voice and how it suddenly tunes better... you MUST start by doing this.

2. Work on singing in the "mask" more. Get out of your throat. Resonate more forward, behind the nose and into the forward, hard palate.

Try these two things and then post your song again.

• TMV World Member
22 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Noriel,

Welcome to the Review My Singing service, happy to help you.

Thanks a lot! My name is Rodrigo though, Noriel is the late great samba singer that I admire so much! :lol:

- What language is this? Is this French?

It's Portuguese!

- It's so low... the note at 1:10 was ok.

But can you tell me the pitch of the note?

Are you singing to the original track? Sounds like you are. Can you get a karaoke track of this?

I try to remove the original vocals, but some of it always remains... It's always a pain... lol. The track I use as a background is a "semi-karakoke-track", I would say.

Try these two things and then post your song again.

Mission given, mission accomplished! Gonna do that within the next 24h.

• TMV World Member
14 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

Cool,

my kind of forum dude!

I knew I was reaching when I suggested French. It some how didn’t sound like French either. 

Get’r done Rodrigo!

Done within less than 24 hours, as promised!

I think that those 2 tips (lifting the upper lip to expose the canine teeh, and singing in the "mask") were really great.

Especially the lip thing (which is something I've always seen many singers doing and never understood exactly why)!