How to control the tongue and voice box position.

Rate this topic

Bugma

I recently discovered that I have Tardive Dyskenisia, which is a serious side effect of Abilify (a medication I've been on for over half a year for depression) and the TD causes involuntary movements of the muscles in the face, mouth, pretty much everything above the shoulders. My tongue is never still in my mouth no matter how hard I try to control it, and when I sing it gets even worse. It causes me to miss notes and waver constantly whenever I try to hold a note for even the shortest time. What's worse (or just as bad) is the fact that the muscles in my throat don't like to co-operate either, and they move my voice box whenever I try to sing or even speak. This throws me off even more, and it's frustrating the heck out of me. Someone please tell me that there is an exercise to counter these issues or some sort of warm up technique, because there is no cure for TD. :(

whoa, sorry to hear about that Bugma. Can you talk to your Doctor and get a different medication?

Not sure if this will help in your case, but an exercise I used to do to improve transitioning across notes is:

- Sing from the letter E to H, starting slowly and quietly – gradually building volume as you cross from one vowel to the next

- Repeat the exercise, singing from E to H again. Only this time, alternate and change pitch between every vowel

- Repeat the exercise, singing from E to O

- Repeat the exercise, singing from E to O. Again, alternate and change pitch between every vowel.

I hope things get better for you!