Sign in to follow this  
Draven Grey

Tesseract vocal cover w/sob

Rate this topic

I filmed this in one-take in Seattle with @Robert Lunte at The Vocalist Studio. I brought this song to Robert because I tended to push WAY too hard and wear out my vocal cords by the end of it, in 2.5 minutes! As a performer and teacher, that was unacceptable! We worked on sobbing/crying through the song, which made it FAR easier to sing. This convinced me that Sob Vocal Mode works like magic. Crying through the song not only released extra tension, but also made it much more emotional to sing.

I usually train a song through a cocktail straw for a week to get the same result. Purposefully adding sob meant I didn't have to do that.

Speaking of magic... Do you see that mic and filter? Aston's Halo Reflection Filter works better than anything I've used in my decades as a recording engineer, beating out sE Electronic's flagship product by a very large margin. The room is not treated at all and sounds like a reverb chamber, and yet the raw vocal track was perfectly dry. Aston's mic, Origin, is also the first solid state mic I've ever truly loved, which says a lot if you know me. Apparently, it's built like a tank too, without exaggerating at all. And no, I didn't get paid to say any of that.

1 hour ago, Draven Grey said:

Sob Vocal Mode works like magic. Crying through the song not only released extra tension, but also made it much more emotional to sing.

Exactly... it is part of the foundation for all singing. It is up there with twang, onsets and vowels as one of the most important things to be aware of and train. @Draven Grey offers a great example of it in this performance.

I usually train a song through a cocktail straw for a week to get the same result. Purposefully adding sob meant I didn't have to do that.

Straw buzzing and other semi-occluded phonations should all have a touch of sob in them to get more out of it. They kind of put the voice in that position naturally, but its not as profound if you aren't conscious of it, which you should be.

Do you see that mic and filter? Aston's Halo Reflection Filter works better than anything I've used in my decades as a recording engineer,

Yep, I am really impressed by both products as well. There are products that I will recommend because they are good and then there are a smaller group of products I will recommend because I am sincerely passionate about it. Aston's mics and reflection filter are one such product. I have recently have the opportunity to meet the founder and owner, James Young on a skype call. Great guy... we'll likely be doing more work together in the future ... more on that later.

I have been recording on this mic for hours in the last few days in preparation to mix some covers and more originals in the studio today. I head out to www.synergynw.com , in about two hours to mix tracks recorded on the Aston Origin and their filter.  ... I want a t-shirt!... their logo is also super cool.

Great job Draven... Stepping up and nailing that in one take shows your metal, no pun intended. I knew you could do it... and it was great meeting you in person. Even more fun and productive working with you in preparation for our Vocal Athlete Intensive in Seattle in May 2018. Draven and I will be offering 6 days of intense training in Seattle for a limited group of 20 people in May. Let us know if you are interested in learning more.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this