Jump to content

Mildew in my practice room

Rate this topic


Fred
 Share

Recommended Posts

I practice at home and discovered the whole apartment seems to be ridden with mildew. It's near every window in the house. It's very dusty and hard to clean apartment too. Since I started doing excessive breathing exercises here about a month ago I am getting more paranoid every day.

I've told the landlord about it but he likely have to rebuild the whole house in order to fix it. So nothing have happened obviously. I finally had enough today and will tell him I will be moving out as soon as I can without breaking the contract (which will be a month and a half at best, perhaps two and a half).

I don't have any allergies and I don't feel sick or anything. My throat feels a little tense and my chest is a little "heavy" in the morning but it might just be from doing daily vocalizes. I try to take the breathing exercises outside but I still work at home. I can smell the pungent and little stuffy smell as I type this. And I sleep in this darn space.

So I guess the question is: How worried should I be? I know mildew is bad, but for an aspiring singer breathing and lungs is so much more than for the average person that just want to stay alive.

Thanks

Fred

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fred -

A number of my voice patients have been concerned about mold or mildew in their homes. If mold is really bad, of course there are systemic health risks; immune system, organs, and brain can be affected. Milder contaminations like yours may be more nuisance than dangerous, and in my experience people have a wide range of tolerances. Someone whose respiratory system is generally reactive/allergic would have more trouble than someone who is innately more robust. Worth a chat with your doctor, though

So general precautions might be a de-humidifier in the worst room; and being extra-careful to keep your immune system otherwise healthy with nutrition, exercise, good relationships. spirituality, etc. [yes i'm being scientific here!!! all affect immune chemistry].

I've recently heard from a friend that Clove oil can help kill the mold-type organisms, even better than clorox and a whole lot less toxic to body. Health food stores, aromatherapy places, or even older-fashioned pharmacy would have it (used to be used for toothache). Spray or wipe in the worst areas & see if it helps.

Also save the anti-humidity packets they put into vitamin bottles, scatter them in the dampest places ...couldnt hurt ...

best wishes --j

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Fred,

FYI :

http://www.handycanadian.com/articles-mold-removal.asp

Read this section >>> Mold Illness; the Danger of Black Mold

Although any type of mold and mildew can be hazardous to a person’s health, one common culprit is Stachybotrys – also known as “toxic black mold.”

(I'm concerned about your health - Read the article further please)

Best of Luck :)

Sincerely,

Adolph

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That last article is quite alarming indeed. The problem is that I don't own the house, and the one who does refuses to do anything about it. He will have to rebuilt the whole house to rid the problem. I live in the basement in a house on top of a cliff where there is raining 200 days a year so the base of the house is always moist. There's waterfalls literally a few feet away from my door every second day or so.

It does not look black but it is on all walls below ground level so the fungi is probably pretty deeply rooted, meaning it will always come back even some really toxic anti-mildew is painted over it.

I guess the only thing to do is move out as soon as possible and hope I don't run into any problems or caught something.

Thanks

Fred

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Fred,

Believe me, I can certainly relate to the difficulties of relocating. If I were in that position, I'd literally have to have three semi's to move all of my possessions. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I've over-reacted, however, when I read your initial post, I was concerned about your health.

Regarding your concerns about future problems or having "caught something", I would certainly take Joanna's advice and consult your physician.

Wishing you a speedy and HEALTHY resolution to your dilemma !!!

Adolph

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...