Sign in to follow this  
Gsoul82

Musical Resolutions 2K18!

Rate this topic

most of mine are more songwriting related..trying to find some way to motivate myself to actually record vocals more lol

of course I also keep working on my voice. I want a c6, I want whistle and id love to have the David Lee Roth scream whistle! lol

on the other end of the spectrum I also want to learn to sing much more simply and uncomplicated more along the lines of a Paul Rogers. Whereas now I can go thru a million and one different coordinations etc, which is cool too, I want to work on singing more just basic open throat stuff sort of based around a constant "ah" or slight "aww" shape.

That being said, I did already lay down some concrete goals for this year:

1. write 300 hook phrases. (no need to be deep or great, just interesting phrases)

2. write 50 sets of lyrics (whole songs)

3. compose 50 gtr/drum jams (shouldnt be hard, probably did 75-100 last year)

4. demo 25 songs (drums, guitar, vox, bass)

5. ‘finish’ 15 songs. Thats a leap of faith because I dont even know what “finish” means. im clueless on mastering etc but ill learn as i go

6. start making youtube vids

So far I think ive written down maybe 20-25 hook phrases (or possibilities), written 1 or 2 whole song lyrics, maybe done a few new jams. Have one demo ready to add vocals too.

most of it wont be too hard except doing 25 demos. That in itself isnt THAT hard but its like 1 every 2 weeks. I can do an original drum/gtr jam from scratch in like 2-3 hours no problem and I have hundreds of them on my HD. Problem being its like pulling teeth to get me to lay down bass and vocals! lol  I got semi motivated back in November and challenged myself to do 5 demos before the month was out.

So far this year ive spent 3-4 solid days trying to get my new laptop set up and working right. Windows 10 sux IMO lol. But im up and running ok now with my new Slate Everything bundle and FINALLY got some amp SIMS working

JJ

3 hours ago, Gsoul82 said:

Alright! What are we looking to do this year?!

During the summer I mentioned the thought of learning drums to a customer of mine, about a month ago he gave me an electric drum kit. Just a small thing but it does have the pads and floor pedals for a decent start. 

So far I have bruised my legs more with the sticks than I have beat the kit, but I have learned a few things in the process.

At this point my goal is just to add a decent beat to some songs my brother wrote and recorded years ago. After that who knows......

15 minutes ago, MDEW said:

During the summer I mentioned the thought of learning drums to a customer of mine, about a month ago he gave me an electric drum kit. Just a small thing but it does have the pads and floor pedals for a decent start. 

So far I have bruised my legs more with the sticks than I have beat the kit, but I have learned a few things in the process.

At this point my goal is just to add a decent beat to some songs my brother wrote and recorded years ago. After that who knows......

learning to actually hand program midi drums was something I started last year. I sort of had to bite the bullet because even though I have lots of the EZ Drummer 2 midi packs etc, there is always something I need that just isnt there.

Since im trying to do the one man band thing, even though I set goals for this or that....I still am working on essentially every other area lol.   Singing, playing guitar, bass, writing, mixing/producing. Somehow it all progresses even if at a snails pace lol

4 hours ago, JonJon said:

most of mine are more songwriting related..trying to find some way to motivate myself to actually record vocals more lol

of course I also keep working on my voice. I want a c6, I want whistle and id love to have the David Lee Roth scream whistle! lol

on the other end of the spectrum I also want to learn to sing much more simply and uncomplicated more along the lines of a Paul Rogers. Whereas now I can go thru a million and one different coordinations etc, which is cool too, I want to work on singing more just basic open throat stuff sort of based around a constant "ah" or slight "aww" shape.

That being said, I did already lay down some concrete goals for this year:

1. write 300 hook phrases. (no need to be deep or great, just interesting phrases)

2. write 50 sets of lyrics (whole songs)

3. compose 50 gtr/drum jams (shouldnt be hard, probably did 75-100 last year)

4. demo 25 songs (drums, guitar, vox, bass)

5. ‘finish’ 15 songs. Thats a leap of faith because I dont even know what “finish” means. im clueless on mastering etc but ill learn as i go

6. start making youtube vids

So far I think ive written down maybe 20-25 hook phrases (or possibilities), written 1 or 2 whole song lyrics, maybe done a few new jams. Have one demo ready to add vocals too.

most of it wont be too hard except doing 25 demos. That in itself isnt THAT hard but its like 1 every 2 weeks. I can do an original drum/gtr jam from scratch in like 2-3 hours no problem and I have hundreds of them on my HD. Problem being its like pulling teeth to get me to lay down bass and vocals! lol  I got semi motivated back in November and challenged myself to do 5 demos before the month was out.

So far this year ive spent 3-4 solid days trying to get my new laptop set up and working right. Windows 10 sux IMO lol. But im up and running ok now with my new Slate Everything bundle and FINALLY got some amp SIMS working

JJ

What a list! I think you'll get it done. If you want help with the whistle thing, I may be able to help with the whistle thing.  I tried to do the David Lee Roth thing earlier and I sounded like a bird being murdered :lol:

1 hour ago, Gsoul82 said:

What a list! I think you'll get it done. If you want help with the whistle thing, I may be able to help with the whistle thing.  I tried to do the David Lee Roth thing earlier and I sounded like a bird being murdered :lol:

Ralph Seanz (Michael Starr) is a master at it. He gives a brief description here. A little different than what ive been trying. I think its just something that u find and develop eventually if u persist and have some clue where to look etc. he describes it as a falsetto with "grind" on it. Another guy who is good at it said that it takes a lot of air. From those 2 bits of info i dont think its an actual "whistle" thing....it seems more like a falsettoish thing where u get it to break into harmonics somehow lol

David Lee was a baritone who did tons of belting and we see Ralph hitting those screams with wide open mouth etc.

Imma figure it out eventually lol. It cant be THAT hard once u get it because DLR used to hit it at will in the middle of words and phrases.

Pretty sure its related to a raspy Janis Joplin kind of thing because on occasion Dave would go to hit it and not quite get it and instead it came out like a Janis Joplin raspy falsettoey thing,

I think as trained singers we always go for cord closure but I think this is a different thing and cord closure sort of defeats it. This is more like very light closure (like Ralph said, its derived from falsetto) with tons of air

9 minutes ago, JonJon said:

Ralph Seanz (Michael Starr) is a master at it. He gives a brief description here. A little different than what ive been trying. I think its just something that u find and develop eventually if u persist and have some clue where to look etc.

The whistle or the whistle with rasp?

6 minutes ago, Gsoul82 said:

The whistle or the whistle with rasp?

Well I never heard DLR do any sort of Mariah Carey type whistle. Thats why im saying I think its a different thing altogether. The regular Mariah type whistle is with cords zipped up almost 100% closed but I think the Roth thing is more like barely closed but im not going to swear on it lol

this comedian cou;d hit it pretty good

4 minutes ago, JonJon said:

Well I never heard DLR do any sort of Mariah Carey type whistle. Thats why im saying I think its a different thing altogether. The regular Mariah type whistle is with cords zipped up almost 100% closed but I think the Roth thing is more like barely closed but im not going to swear on it lol

this comedian cou;d hit it pretty good

If it's barely closed wouldn't it not be thin or high-pitched at all?

3 minutes ago, Gsoul82 said:

If it's barely closed wouldn't it not be thin or high-pitched at all?

somehow they use air pressure to rattle out some harmonics lol. dunno, doesnt seem like its the zipped up sound

1 minute ago, JonJon said:

somehow they use air pressure to rattle out some harmonics lol. dunno, doesnt seem like its the zipped up sound

I mean, I just learned to access it, but based on how easy it was to add the rasp that I know how to do, I would think they learned it the regular way and then slightly modified things.

8 minutes ago, JonJon said:

well for instance Janis wasnt known for whistle....but as I suspected she could hit the DLR stuff. he just developed it to the max

That sounds different to me. Maybe the rasp effect is the same.

1 hour ago, JonJon said:

Ralph Seanz (Michael Starr) is a master at it. He gives a brief description here. A little different than what ive been trying. I think its just something that u find and develop eventually if u persist and have some clue where to look etc. he describes it as a falsetto with "grind" on it. Another guy who is good at it said that it takes a lot of air. From those 2 bits of info i dont think its an actual "whistle" thing....it seems more like a falsettoish thing where u get it to break into harmonics somehow lol

David Lee was a baritone who did tons of belting and we see Ralph hitting those screams with wide open mouth etc.

Imma figure it out eventually lol. It cant be THAT hard once u get it because DLR used to hit it at will in the middle of words and phrases.

Pretty sure its related to a raspy Janis Joplin kind of thing because on occasion Dave would go to hit it and not quite get it and instead it came out like a Janis Joplin raspy falsettoey thing,

I think as trained singers we always go for cord closure but I think this is a different thing and cord closure sort of defeats it. This is more like very light closure (like Ralph said, its derived from falsetto) with tons of air

That Podcast rules. So does his new one with an RnB guy. Can we get Daniel's podcasts Stickied? Such a good singer and hangs around absolute killers as well. Great Info, Great interviewer.

3 hours ago, Gsoul82 said:

That sounds different to me. Maybe the rasp effect is the same.

I think its the same basic thing but he just took it and specialized on it

lots of similarities in their voices

On 1/9/2018 at 5:44 AM, kirkovin84 said:

That Podcast rules. So does his new one with an RnB guy. Can we get Daniel's podcasts Stickied? Such a good singer and hangs around absolute killers as well. Great Info, Great interviewer.

Agreed - really interesting and informative to hear the experiences of guys who actually sing for a living and how they deal with the stresses and strains of different material. Dan has a lot of talented contacts!

3 hours ago, TheHopefulBaritone said:

Agreed - really interesting and informative to hear the experiences of guys who actually sing for a living and how they deal with the stresses and strains of different material. Dan has a lot of talented contacts!

The 3 guys he has interviewed thus far are very humble. Tough path to get up in front of people and sing. There must be a huge camaraderie between performers. Massive respect for always trying to get better at their craft and constantly seeking answers.

Man, im looking at my goals and my processes etc. The one thing that drives me is also the one thing that defeats me...

PERFECTIONISM!!!!

Im on facebook and on forums asking people about their songwriting processes and workflows etc. To get better at something you have to do it over and over and over. But when you are a hardcore perfectionist and FIERCE self critic, its not easy.

Im realizing thats why I HATE recording vocals. I know they wont be perfect lol. But to get better I need to keep working on the process of actually recording vocals. But to do so I have to hear myself making mistakes etc.

Thats also why I have such a hard time finishing songs. I start a new song and im all excited. By the time I lay down vocals and listen back, I might be ok excited the first couple listens. Then I start hearing the flaws and I totally lose interest lol.

Its crazy because the perfectionism gives a lot of drive for constant improvement but it makes finishing stuff nearly impossible. When I listen back to demos and stuff I just give up on them since they arent perfect.

vicious vicious loop lol

Just thinking out loud, peace, JJ

13 hours ago, JonJon said:

Man, im looking at my goals and my processes etc. The one thing that drives me is also the one thing that defeats me...

PERFECTIONISM!!!!

Im on facebook and on forums asking people about their songwriting processes and workflows etc. To get better at something you have to do it over and over and over. But when you are a hardcore perfectionist and FIERCE self critic, its not easy.

Im realizing thats why I HATE recording vocals. I know they wont be perfect lol. But to get better I need to keep working on the process of actually recording vocals. But to do so I have to hear myself making mistakes etc.

Thats also why I have such a hard time finishing songs. I start a new song and im all excited. By the time I lay down vocals and listen back, I might be ok excited the first couple listens. Then I start hearing the flaws and I totally lose interest lol.

Its crazy because the perfectionism gives a lot of drive for constant improvement but it makes finishing stuff nearly impossible. When I listen back to demos and stuff I just give up on them since they arent perfect.

vicious vicious loop lol

Just thinking out loud, peace, JJ

I do the same thing. I find that the more I pay attention, the more tiny mistakes I make. If I make 5 recordings of the same thing, and I’m not really paying attention the first, I find that’s the best one.