Need some help here...

Rate this topic

Acefire45

I've just started trying to sing..and I was just curious as to what range Brandon Flowers sings in..in this this song. Also any tips on how to sing in a similar style to him or any techniques he may be using would be great. I just love the way he sings and want to sing in a similar way. Thanks

wow, he actually sounds a bit like the Keanne guy in this one. It's a fairly low tune. I actually like this song, thanks.

IF THIS WERE ME, I'd listen to him and try to imitate what he's doing. Get the lyrics off the internet and sing with him. He's got a lotta vibrato going on there, but it's a nice vibrato.

Can you imitate him without struggling for the notes? Are the notes too high or low for you?

If you play an instrument, learn the chords and try singing his part.

That's what I'd do and have done since I was a kid.

Cool. I'm from the school of "adjust the song to fit YOUR voice". If it's TOO low for you, try raising the chords a half step at a time- or rip it to an mp3, get a program like Audacity (free online) and bump the pitch up a half step at a time until it's comfortable for you to sing. Keep that mp3 so you can sing along.

If songs are too high or too low for you, you can approach them two ways:

You can either try and do them in the key they're written/recorded in and learn to adjust your voice to the correct pitch. This could mean strain, it could mean learning to relax depending on how 'out of your range' it is.

or

Move the song to fit your voice.

Coming from a Cover Band place, I always try to sing in the actual key. There are some though where it's just out of my range. At that point, if you're the band singer, you have the rest of the guys change the key. Nobody wants to hear a singer strain on a tune and it does your band no good either. The song should always fit the singer's voice. Times where a band has a hard time with this would be if open strings are used in the tune.

Does that help?

I've just started trying to sing..and I was just curious as to what range Brandon Flowers sings in..in this this song. Also any tips on how to sing in a similar style to him or any techniques he may be using would be great. I just love the way he sings and want to sing in a similar way. Thanks

boy, there's a voice i have in my head that sounds just like him, but i can't think of the guy's name.

anyway, to add to bill's advice, listen to a y.t. of a live performance as well.

he uses twang to brighten in other songs.

Brandon Flowers ! I like this guy a lot (actually, he's my favourite singer).

As far as I know, he sings most of the time on the first two albums *around* D4/E4, going through the whole C3 to C5ish range throughout his and his band's 5 albums. Though I've never tried Change your mind, so I can't really tell, I'd say it goes down to around D/E3. He's one of those singers where I have to try to get a sense of his pitch. I know he uses quite a bit of twang, especially live, but my ear isn't acute enough yet to tell if it is distinctively present in this song. I'll try tomorrow.

Also, I think he's been a bit higher and whinier recently. He also uses air in his singing. I'd advice against it in a first time though, because it can be both hard to get rid of, and mostly, because air can be kinda dangerous if it's not applied right.

(By the way, I take C4 = Middle C)

Oh Boy! Another voice like his! I would be interested to know of this vocalist when you remember. Hmmm What do you exactly mean by Twang? It may seem strange but I've only heard this in reference to guitar tones..

acefire, make a point of learning twang.. it is a really important technique to acquire

search the forum for plenty of info....

...to hear it in a blatant way

listen to guys like bon jovi, and chakka caan.

Hi again, let me start by asking a few questions :

Are you trying to mimic this song specifically, or the singer as a whole (and if so, at which part in his career ? Because he has changed quite a lot in my opinion)? Are you a girl or a boy ? Has your voice changed already ? Is it in the process of changing ? Not changed ? Do you consider yourself having a very high pitched voice ?

If I ask this, it is because I fully expect this song to be in a reachable range for absolutely anyone, although the lowest voices will need more technique and training to pass the " why aren't you shaking " (the highest) part. If my sense of pitch is correct, the range of this song is ~F3->~G4, with most of its lyrics at ~B3. You may be approaching it a whole octave lower. We would need a recording to tell you this exactly, though.

There's some twang going, and he takes on a nice kinda careless character, but the whole song is a little bit whiny. He also has some covering going to darken the tone a bit.

(Covering consists in directing the vowel sounds towards another vowel sound, without going the whole route and changing the vowel entirely). I also think he doesn't care about nasality. I can record something if you think it might help. You can too, for we will surely be able to help you :)

And as always, I can be wrong.

Oh Boy! Another voice like his! I would be interested to know of this vocalist when you remember. Hmmm What do you exactly mean by Twang? It may seem strange but I've only heard this in reference to guitar tones..

the guy i was thinking of who reminds me of him is the singer from muze.....