about ken tamplin vocal technique.. (guitartrek you here? hehe)

Rate this topic

darkclaw3000

Had a webcam lesson with Ken, it was a very good one. and im suppose to go to stage 3 straight..

i still have a problem applying what i've learned into my singing.

i seem to start singing now by opening my mouth first, (to get the feel of that LA in the back of the throat), then sing.

i dont want it to be a habit, everytime when start a phrase, i will LA first. looks ugly on stage.

other then that, when i go up to the higher pitches, i will lose the placement of where its suppose to be at.

any KTVA experts on this matter?

pls help!!

thx

aLiz

Had a webcam lesson with Ken, it was a very good one. and im suppose to go to stage 3 straight..

i still have a problem applying what i've learned into my singing.

i seem to start singing now by opening my mouth first, (to get the feel of that LA in the back of the throat), then sing.

i dont want it to be a habit, everytime when start a phrase, i will LA first. looks ugly on stage.

other then that, when i go up to the higher pitches, i will lose the placement of where its suppose to be at.

any KTVA experts on this matter?

pls help!!

ken's method of opening the mouth really wide is to get you to feel the significance associated with an open relaxed throat which so so important. you don't have to worry about too open a mouth on stage. his method is routed in bel canto.

thx

aLiz

im doing quite well during the workout and exercises, but I can't seem to make 2 n 2 together. whenever i sing, i tend to go back to the old way, and if i tried remembering ken's method, i seem to be doing it wrong....

i feel like im missing something...

hard to know without hearing something....ken method is really good...his voice proves it.

IMO, you have to make a GRADUAL switch from the exercises to songs. Don't just do a bunch of exercises and then sing songs. Do some exercises that have the tone you're gonna use in some song you want to try to sing. Then, change the melody of one of the exercises to the melody of some part of the song that's giving you problems. Then add in consonant, singing a single scentence (or even a part of it) in the song slowly over and over, with little or no emotion, poker face and as relaxed throat as you can (it can't be 100% relaxed, btw.). So at this point you're singing a single line in the song slowly over and over. Now do whatever variations of this you can think of - speed it up, do staccato on some word, practise the onset of the line, practise being able to sing many long lines in succession with very little breathing space in between, etc. Now, do the same with another tough line in the song. Eventually and very gradually you get better at singing that song. Notice that now, the point where you switch from the exercises to the song is hard to define because the switch happened gradually, which makes the transition a LOT easier. I'm still struggling with this myself but I've felt it helped. Cheers! And good luck with it.

Hey that's great you took a lesson from him. I would like to do that someday. jonpall makes a good point about practicing the excersizes first and letting them "sink in" and become second nature before trying to apply to songs right away.

When I started with his DVD I practiced right along with the video on my laptop - in front of a mirror so I could see myself, and I could see him, and hear him. If at any point I was having a problem I would stop singning and watch and listen to him very closely. The best thing for me about his videos is that I learned by just trying to emulate him, his sound, the weight of his voice, his mouth and tongue position, etc. I would practice his excersizes about 45min to an hour a day. I don't practice with his videos anymore, but I did for the first couple months.

After a while it just transfers over to songs automatically. For me it was like learning to shred on guitar. My previous picking technique was not condusive to shredding. When I was learning a better picking technique, I would still go to a gig and use the old picking technique. It took a long time before my new good technique became second nature and the old habits went away.

thanks a million times thanks to jonpall n guitartrek! now those are tips that i never thought of! duh..

almost everyday i will start doing the stage 3 mp3 exercise, and tried to follow, there are some instances where I don't quite get the feeling properly. but the confusion was because i was thinking that, my voice and ken are totally different, like guitartrek said, trying to emulate him, is that a 'good n proper' way?

also, this maybe a mistake on my side, after doing the mp3 exercises, am i supposed to get tired??? because right after doing them, and i trying singing songs, i get tired fast, even the first song isnt right?

does that mean i'm doing the exercise wrong??

darkclaw3000 - On the emulation thing I don't want to lead you down the wrong path. For me it worked because my voice, from a tone and weight aspect, is similar to Ken's. When I emulated, I wasn't trying to do an impersonization of him, like a comedian would do, I was emulating the weight and tension, and the vowels. Like, "how dark is Ken's tone at this pitch and volume, what is the intensity, and how does this vowel change at this pitch".

As long as you don't feel a tickle or a non-healthy feeling in your larynx I think it is normal to have a general fatigue after doing Ken's excersizes. I certainly did. Even today I'll space out the excersizes, taking breaks here and there. I think it would be a good idea to put some space inbetween excersizes and the songs. When I started with Ken's program I was 80% to 90% excersizes and the rest songs. Some days I didn't do any songs. That may not be possible with your schedule. I found that singing the songs brought back the old bad habits. If I went for a couple weeks singing correctly and then tried a song, it was easier to apply the new techniques.

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction though. If possible it would be good to get Ken's opinion on the fatigue question.