Ever Have this Problem?

Rate this topic

Billy Budapest

Lately, I've been having this recurring issue- My voice will be going along fine and then I come to a fast, repetitive section and at the end of these sections, my voice all the sudden loses it's resonance and goes Ac/Dc on me (Brian Johnson). I also have noticed it from time to time when I've had to hit a high note. The note will start out fine but as I hold it, all the sudden, it breaks up and gets totally garbled and raspy.

I have a tough time repeating this at will, it just seems to come out of nowhere.

Anybody ever have a problem like this?

Yes! This goes along with the unwanted distortion problem I made the other post about. This is part of my problem. It doesn't matter what sort of support I use, either. I don't mind it so much on the really high notes, as it helps with that Steven Tyler type sound that I love, but I also love that Steve Perry sound, and it's hard to do when you're channeling Brian Johnson.

Thanks Jeran- I thought yours was in the transition to falsetto or head voice. But yeah, sounds similar. However, I've used all my methods I gave to you of trying to fix it. I think that when it happens, it's when my voice goes more to my throat than to my resonance chambers, but I can't be sure as I have a difficult time reproducing it. It just shows up...unannounced.

Well, I've got an odd one for you, Billy. I was working on "Immigrant Song." Just by looking at the waveforms on the track in playback, even though I am hitting the same pitch, as it feels to me, The first set of banshee wail looks one way, and then the later repetition of those wails intro into the second stanza look different. Riddle me that.

billy, jeran, maybe, just maybe, you're squeezing your folds too hard and believe me that can cause raspiness because the folds produce mucus to compensate for the swelling and strain put on them.

just trying to help. that stuff is very frustrating.

had a lesson last night- one thing we noticed was there there were a lot of "H's" in the sections of these songs. It seems that I was using too heavy of an H and it was drying out my throat. I've actually had some speech therapy because of hard glottal attack issues. This seems to make a lot of sense. Also, because it was a high, long note, it seems like I'm letting it fall from above my soft palette into my throat, which would also explain it. These are not 'case-closed' types of things, but something for me to look into that I didn't realize before.