Sign in to follow this  
growler

what amp is generally used for singing live?

Rate this topic

A "PA System" mean "Public Address System," and usually refers to the entire "front of house" (FOH) live sound setup. At the very least, it include a mixing console or volume control and speakers/monitors. If the PA speakers are not self-powered (i.e. they are either active/powered or passive/not-powered), then a power amp is needed for them.

The wattage and amperage both need to be considered, depending on the speakers being used. The amount of and size of the speakers should be determined by the size of the room.

In other words, it depends.

Usually, the venue takes care of all that so you don't have to. If you're rehearsing in a small room, then your best bet is to get electric drums with good feeling heads on them, a decent small mixing board, and then you all being on in-ear monitors are headphones. If you insist on using a speaker system, then again, it depends. two 15" speaker cabinets with tweeters, placed on speaker stands above your head, should cover a couple a thousand square feet without the need for separate sub-woofers. 

The most important part of all this, as a singer, is that you do whatever you can to hear yourself well. I HIGHLY suggest in-ear monitors, so you hear yourself very well and don't end up unnecessarily pushing your voice when singing.

So one could actually use either active or passive amp/speakers for vocals? 

This is more for practicing with a band. I'd like to hear my self and want others in the room to hear as well.

These looks interesting:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SingThing--tc-helicon-singthing

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Helicon/VoiceSolo-FX150-150W-Personal-PA-Monitor-1382969912667.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|ClickCP#productDetail

Yes. However, the ones you linked to are extremely small, and likely won't work well.To hear yourself over a band, you would need it to be very close to your ears. If you go with a 15" speaker, and place it on a stand at head-level or above, and have a way to EQ it a bit, then everyone should be able to hear you. 12" may be able to handle it too, but that depends on how loud the room is.

So speaker size determines loudness, not so much wattage? This one boasts 300w of power and can amplify for crowds of up to 100 people:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/FreePlay-Personal-PA-System.gc

Any suggestions perhaps? Something that's easy to set up and plug and play? Some of these systems can also work for guitars and synths/keyboards which is something I'd probably consider, not just dedicated for vocals.

Are you also saying that if I can hear my self over a band (without the use of in-ear monitoring), does that mean I'm pushing my voice when I shouldn't therefore an addition of in-ear monitors is suggested?

The difference in a speaker, like you've linked to thus far, vs a more traditional PA speaker is that the ones you've linked to are meant for much lower volume situations, where all the music is coming from the same speaker. In a rehearsal room, it would be very difficult for a small speaker like that to be loud enough to compete with everyone else. A small PA System or "sound package"/"sound system"/"PA package" would probably work great when the speakers are positioned correctly. 15" speakers tend to work best in a band situation, as long as the speakers are at ear-level or above. I've heard from 100 watt to 900 watt work both well or horribly, depending on the band's sound level. 

Yes, if you can't hear yourself very well, you will naturally begin to push your voice too hard to compensate. In-ears will help you with that problem immensely. 

Draven, I bought me a pair of Electro-Voice ZLX-12P powered PA speakers (12"). I'm new to this so my question is do I plug a mic on both or just one and the other speaker would carry the sound assuming both PA speakers are "chained" together?

On 7/24/2018 at 7:04 AM, growler said:

Draven, I bought me a pair of Electro-Voice ZLX-12P powered PA speakers (12"). I'm new to this so my question is do I plug a mic on both or just one and the other speaker would carry the sound assuming both PA speakers are "chained" together?

I hope you figured this out. You really need a mixer, even if a very small one.

I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner. I haven't been on the forum since July.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this