Sign in to follow this  
DisgustingVoice

At what point does too much practice become dangerous?

Rate this topic

I would love to sing 8 hours a day or more, however i fear that my voice will permantley damage from using it too much. So how do i make sure that i practice as much as possible without risking permanent damage of the vocal cords? After how many hours does it become too dangerous?

It depends on what you're doing. And even then, it's unusual for you to overuse your voice. With good technique from guided training, it's not something to worry about until you're tired and worn out from touring and performing night after night for months at a time. I teach up to 7 hours a day, and have been for years. Robert teaches 11 hours in a day sometimes, and has for decades. Both of us sing with our students. The top ENT surgeon in Denver seems to think my vocal tract is perfectly healthy. I've also performed professionally for decades, even when I pushed and strained, before learning how to sing with good technique. 

In other words. Find a teacher who knows how to get you where you want to be, and then train. Then, don't worry about it.

balance off the hard stuff (belts, screams, extreme range stuff) with lots of lighter stuff like warm ups, warm downs, and semi occluded stuff like hums, lip trills, straw stuff. Its common sense that you can do way more light stuff without wearing down than you can do heavy and hard stuff.

Also, you can and should gradually build up your abilities and workload etc. its just like going to the gym. if you were a newb in the gym, no one would recommend trying to do Mr Olympias workout or a pro MMA workout. They built up to their level over the course of years

Take a look at where you are now and make a plan....where do you want to be in 6 months, in a year?

On 4.3.2018 at 11:01 PM, Draven Grey said:

It depends on what you're doing. And even then, it's unusual for you to overuse your voice. With good technique from guided training, it's not something to worry about until you're tired and worn out from touring and performing night after night for months at a time. I teach up to 7 hours a day, and have been for years. Robert teaches 11 hours in a day sometimes, and has for decades. Both of us sing with our students. The top ENT surgeon in Denver seems to think my vocal tract is perfectly healthy. I've also performed professionally for decades, even when I pushed and strained, before learning how to sing with good technique. 

In other words. Find a teacher who knows how to get you where you want to be, and then train. Then, don't worry about it.

I'm not a trained singer though.

3 minutes ago, DisgustingVoice said:

I'm not a trained singer though.

You could be. And if you're serious about learning to sing, especially with your stated concerns and limitations, you need guided training. At the very least, check out The Four Pillars of Singing, linked to at the bottom of this forum.