Sign in to follow this  
DisgustingVoice

How fast does permanent vocal damage happen?

Rate this topic

So, i'm singing for around 3 years now. Around half a year ago i started singing on a daily basis. I'm not trained and didn't do warm up's until recently. However i never really did any screaming, yet my voice still sounded hoarse and i couldn't sing falsetto like i used to yesterday. I had a cold around a week ago. Could that be the reason for this? I've been doing this for over an hour yesterday. Could it be dangerous?  

... I don't know ,... "Mark Baxter's Affiliate" who disingenuously posted a link to his YouTube channel in such a way that it... doesn't answer the fake question, but instead is an attempt to redirect traffic away from our community to Mark Baxter's YouTube channel...

Members and teachers that are active contributors to our community are encouraged to post their videos in the forum. Those that have never contributed anything to this community, are not obliged to paste in their promotional videos. 

Give before you take Mark, thanks.

5 hours ago, Robert Lunte said:

... I don't know ,... "Mark Baxter's Affiliate" who disingenuously posted a link to his YouTube channel in such a way that it... doesn't answer the fake question, but instead is an attempt to redirect traffic away from our community to Mark Baxter's YouTube channel...

Members and teachers that are active contributors to our community are encouraged to post their videos in the forum. Those that have never contributed anything to this community, are not obliged to paste in their promotional videos. 

Give before you take Mark, thanks.

I'm actually worried that i might have permanent vocal damage. The reason that i posted the video was that i was actually unsure if the method in the video is actually helpful. But i had no idea that this forum was so sensitive in this aspect.

41 minutes ago, DisgustingVoice said:

I'm actually worried that i might have permanent vocal damage. The reason that i posted the video was that i was actually unsure if the method in the video is actually helpful. But i had no idea that this forum was so sensitive in this aspect.

I did not see the video mentioned, but my only guess is that there was not an introduction and question concerning the video to show that you posted it. It must have appeared to be Mark or his promoters who posted the video. 

The sensitivity about the video is on an advertising level. Videos showing other teachers have been used in the past when relevant to the question as an example. 

9 minutes ago, MDEW said:

I did not see the video mentioned, but my only guess is that there was not an introduction and question concerning the video to show that you posted it. It must have appeared to be Mark or his promoters who posted the video. 

The sensitivity about the video is on an advertising level. Videos showing other teachers have been used in the past when relevant to the question as an example. 

I'm not a promoter of Mark Baxter. My intention was to get a second opinion to know if the methods in the video are actually useful to prevent vocal damage.

Our vocal cords can handle a good bit of stress. The main factor to prevent vocal damage is to warm up and if something hurts, stop doing that. If you did do damage chances are good that it is not permanent. Give yourself time to heal before stressing the vocal cords again.

For the record, Mark Baxter is a good coach and a decent dude... but we generally are not keen to posting promotion videos for products and services from coaches that don't contribute. That's all there is to it. The link wasn't even a video. It was a link to Mark's YouTube channel. I suppose it is mostly harmless, but it still goes against the rules here and I just don't like promotions that are not backed up with contributions... apart from the fact that the content in question wasn't relevant.

Vocal damage is a broad term Disgusting... there is many kinds, and it can affect people in many different ways. If you want help with this, you need to be more specific. Start with sharing a file of you training or singing so we can hear what you think is evidence of vocal damage.