Sign in to follow this  
DisgustingVoice

Is it possible to sing despite vocal nodules?

Rate this topic

So, i usually thought that vocal nodules mean permanent vocal damage and you can't sing with it. Now i've seen an interview with Mariah Carey, where she talks about having nodules since she was a child and being able to sing despite it. So, does that mean i can sing despite nodules or will this damage my voice even more? Why hasn't Mariah Carey damaged her voice?

Men don't form nodules as far as I know, Only women and children. You would have to yell everyday for hours for a good couple of months. You probably have just an imbalanced voice right now, try to balance it with exercises and don't yell as it could be too tough on your vocal muscles.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:06 PM, Xamedhi said:

Men don't form nodules as far as I know, Only women and children. You would have to yell everyday for hours for a good couple of months. You probably have just an imbalanced voice right now, try to balance it with exercises and don't yell as it could be too tough on your vocal muscles.

Women are more prone to get them, but men get them too. However, as you said, it can take quite a bit of wear and tear on the voice to cause them. And only a proper medical professional can tell someone if they actually have them or not. Also, many will go away on their own simply buy beginning to use better singing and speaking techniques.

Hoarseness can be caused by a very wide variety of things, from post-nasal drip and allergies, to overuse, pushing too much, overblowing acoustics, acid reflux, coughing, bad breathing or phonation techniques in general, eating spicy or lactose rich foods, a virus, alcohol consumption, dryness (which has its own long list of possible causes), or a number of other things.