Been hitting a platform,hope someone could get me some pointers to get better?

Rate this topic

Hi Guys,

I've been stuck on this level of singing. I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. Maybe pitch, breath support, technique or all the above. I just dont know.. I want to get to a level where I could be considered a very good singer and hope some critique could help me in that direction.

(ps this has been the product of appr. 10 singing lessons and some really hard work on the side)

Thanks!

You have a nice, smooth voice. A bit pitchy, for sure, but singing acapella and staying in key will take time. I imagine you're more on pitch when singing with music. Am I right about this?

You need to be doing things to strengthen your TA musculature to help with better vocal fold adduction and dynamics. Glottal attacks can also help with this. But you'll need guidance to do both of those things correctly. For something you can do right now, in order to help improve your resonance, pitch, and adduction, place a finger on your bottom lip and try and lift your voice up and over it as you sing. Additionally, start to hum and buzz your lips through songs as much as you can stand it. This "semi-occluded phonation" will help you built better resonant placement, better cord closure, and start pulling you out of your throat while singing. 

Lastly, start doing this straw exercise a few times a day. It will help you build better balance with glottal and sub glottal pressure, better breath support, better resonance, and help you learn to relax your voice more while staying resonant.

Wow, thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate the indepth analysis of my voice. I will definitely pick apart every tip and comment to improve myself. Regarding singing with music, it really depends on the song. Some are easier to sing a long with and I also tend to sing higher and more nasal ( and more from my soft palate) when I sing a long with music, also a little to increase volume, which make it sound a little whiny at times.

Thanks again for the personalized tips!