• TMV World Member

Hi

I still have alot of a way to go with this song i just started singing it. I use closed vowels to not sound shouty. Me and a friend of mine will be playing this on saturday. She will be playing piano and i will sing. I need feedback if it sounds good or not?

Your pitch is good when you're relaxed. The higher in pitch you went, the more tense you got, to the point of almost yelling, rather than singing. Your vowels are too narrow in your upper range to resonate well. There are two main things I recommend for this.

First, try to get into cry mode. It's the same feeling in the soft palate as if you're crying or really excited to see someone. Whimper there a bit, to get a solid feel for it. Them try to isolate your upper pitches with that cry. It will also soften your your voice a bit in your lower range. Since higher pitches want to pull deeper into the soft palate, cry will help thin out the glottis better and help pull the voice into a deeper placement, so less pressure is required to sing those pitches. Also, once into higher pitches, you may need to add a bit more /ae/ (he vowel sound color of words like ash, cat, hat, etc) in order to keep a consistent sound color across your range.

Second, place much more emphasis on everything supporting good resonance. One great way to do this is using a /w/ as your onset. If you're using good  horizontal embouchure (smile/sneer), it will help lift your voice to the soft palate. If you sing from that lifted placement with a /w/ + /oh/, it gives you both good support and a defined feeling for good resonance. Once you feel that resonant energy on the front of your soft palate, towards the hard palate, or towards your nasal cavities, try to place all of your vowels and consonants in a way that supports that resonance. Singing is all about supporting that resonance, and the sound only moving outward from there.

I can tell you were trying to use cry vocal mode with good resonance support! Still too much push and constriction, but it can take a while to get used to singing from the soft palate rather than the throatiness we experience in speech.

One big issue is your diphthongs. Anything time a word changes between two vowel sounds, it throws your placement off, causing a very unique accent and a lot of singing from your throat rather than your soft palate. For example, words like "dark" were sang as /d/ah/oo/r/k/, when it would be better sang as /d/ah/k/, with perhaps 5% of an /oo/r/ if you absolutely need it. The idea is keeping the resonance in the soft palate and then out from there, only out from there.

However, that's only one of a host of issues you're dealing with. Are you currently training with a teacher or program like The Four Pillars of Singing?