Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home

Rate this topic

A lot of what I mentioned in the Journey review applies here as well. However, I want to specifically address your distortion in this song.

What you're doing sounds throaty and compressed. On higher pitches, that type of distortion can be very harsh both in sound and wear and tear on the vocal tract. If you're in The Four Pillars of Singing, I suggest you work more with the lesson on decompressed overlay distortion. Otherwise, or perhaps in addition to, instead of squeezing that distortion out, try to bleed the glottis. That means allowing more air through without all the extra hyper vocal twang compression.

One way to help develop that is, while still trying to keep the voice lifted to the soft palate, and still utilizing cry vocal mode as described in my Journey review for you, try alternating between a spoken smoker's voice and singing clean at pitch above your bridge. At some point, while alternating back and forth, you'll feel like you can combined the two. Then, instead of squeezing for distortion and getting a throaty sound, it will feel like you're simply using more air than you need to and thereby activating the false cords for distortion.

If it hits your throat, you need to lift more, and move towards /ae/ sound colors. Again, this is similar to what I described in the Journey song review. 

If the distortion still feels like it's hitting your throat, rather than above the throat, spend more time trying to raise pulse/fry up in pitch, where it sits on top of the throat, rather than in it. That area is a good placement for distortion, especially if a lot of the vibration is then transferred to the soft palate.