Problems with Head Voice and Range

• TMV World Member

2 years ago I caught a cold and developed laryngitis as a result.. Due to my ignorance at the time, even tho I could not talk, I still managed to yell.. I remember exactly how it felt when I would do this.. like I was forcing my voice up, past my chest and throat, and through, from the top of my head.. 

You can only imagine the damage I caused doing that.. well, fast forward and to make a long story short, I was diagnosed by an ENT with muscle tension dysphonia. He placed me on 8 weeks vocal therapy and in that time I had improved greatly (90-95% back normal) .. 

The tension began to return after about three months and this time I had "uneven vocal folds", indicating the begining of vocal nodules.. so back for another 12 weeks of therapy I went, next follow-up and the nodules were gone..

However this time around my voice has not returned to normal and it's been about 6 weeks now post follow-up.

I've noticed I can't even seem to access my head voice anymore . It feels as if I have a board in my head sitting *above my nose but resting under my eyes * and it's physically blocking me from reaching that point (just an visual)

this is worrying to me because the head voice, all my life, has been a comfortable and frequent resonance for me. My chest voice is fine and my mixed voice is extremely hard to maintain without breaks and I have no range whatsoever..

Is it possible to "blow out" your head voice ? Even with pitch slides and other resonance and vocal stretching exercises, the effort seems very discouraging.. What sounds like could be my "head voice", really just sounds "broken" . 

• Administrator

Brice,

Are you training? Are you taking lessons? Are you doing anything to build your strength and motor skills for singing?

This will help you, start here:

Here is my course for $20.

http://bit.ly/TVSLiteCourse20