How to make my high voice more powerful? Record.

Rate this topic

devaitis

Hi

Im form Poland. Im 22. I recorded this part of Bohemian Rhapsody to show you my high voice.

Sorry for my english and I was nervous a little bit.

I want to make my high voice more powerful. According to CVT terminology I sing in neutral and metal like neutral mod. Acc. to SLS/SS in very weak mix/head voice - I guess.

What should I do? Any ex, advices?

http://www.box.net/shared/st5d8htzus

wow devaitis-

Other than the English, I don't see much of a problem there. The pitch is good, the tone is good. If you're looking for "power", that section of the song doesn't have a lot of "power" to it anyway. Freddie sang it similarly.

Not sure what to tell you about how to make it "bigger". Maybe someone else can offer you something more, but I didn't see much of a problem with the vocal end of things here.

Hi

Im form Poland. Im 22. I recorded this part of Bohemian Rhapsody to show you my high voice.

Sorry for my english and I was nervous a little bit.

I want to make my high voice more powerful. According to CVT terminology I sing in neutral and metal like neutral mod. Acc. to SLS/SS in very weak mix/head voice - I guess.

What should I do? Any ex, advices?

http://www.box.net/shared/st5d8htzus

hi, sometimes live when freddie got to "it all the way, mama, ooh...didn't mean to make you cry, if i'm not back again this time" he had transitioned from heady placement bringing in more chesty girth.

that's a choice, not mandatory..freddie often changed these kinds of things around.

I agree with Billy. You sang this part just like Freddie would sing it, at least on the album. Unless you are wanting to sing it ala Pantera or Anthrax. Your voice was fine on this. Now, if you want to talk "power" vocals, try Queen's "Hammer to Fall."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsbznJJkq84

He's singing just a little louder than you did in your sample. Subtley so, though. Namely, breath support. The song's emotion requires, and so does playing on a live stage in front of 100,000+ people.

Unless you are wanting to sing it ala Pantera or Anthrax.

Definitely no. Im "sweet" pop vocalist, not rock. Queen was only to demonstrate my high registers.

Honestly my high voice doesn't sound good in each song . Queen is ok, especially "Love of my life".

Hmm, Here part of David Bowe high part. Not perfect, but ok I think. (Sorry for f....g double voice and eq. I s.... it up. I know.)

http://www.box.net/shared/c7tlppc249

When I reach for Bruno Mars high parts, my voice sounds worse, but not tragically yet.

http://www.box.net/shared/jy3q3hgf6o

The more black is the song the weakest is my high voice. Gospel, high RnB doesnt suit me. Maybe it is normally , isnt it?

My input:

Remember that this is a public forums in which there are mostly vocal students helping other students so take everything said here with a grain of salt. Try the suggestions out and always remember that if it hurts your throat, you're doing it wrong and should stop immedially, take a short break and try something else.

Good singing. You sound like you've got musical talent. My suggestions: Although you've got twang in your voice, which is good, you might want to raise your larynx ever so slightly on some of the high notes like "now".

F.ex., your first line "mama". This is sung great, IMO.

Next you sing: "Life has just begun". This is also great except for one thing. I can't hear the "s" in "has". It sounds like it's because english isn't your primary language so you need to work on that if you want to sing in english. But everything else is very pro. The tone is good, your vibrato is very professional and you use volume swells or creak to get into the line (among other things) to give the vocals life and feeling. Good stuff.

Next you sing: "Muh now I've gone and throw it all away". Obviously, "Muh", should have been "But" and "throw" should have been "thrown". To be picky, the "t" in "it" could have been slightly more silent. The pitch and the vibrato and the feel are still excellent.

The high pitches starting at the word "now" could have sounded a bit better, IMO. I can think of 2 choices for you. Either you can sing it very much like Freddy did, which was in airy falsetto and with as little volume as possible (except for the last few words in which he put in rasp) and as little effort as possible - I think anyone can do that, really - just sing like you were putting a baby to sleep - a lullaby.

The other way to sing that line would be with slightly more power, which is what you want, right? So even though that's not how the original line was sung, let's look at how you could sing that line with a bit more power. You've already got a slight power so you just need a bit more, but very little and subtle. I suggest you try it again, record it and show it to us, this time with a slightly brighter sound color. To do that, try having your larynx ever so slightly higher positioned for that line (your larynx should rise slightly as you go up in pitch) and remember to keep the focus in your soft palate so you don't lose the twang you've already got. My guess is that you're trying too hard to keep a "dark and powerful" tone as you go up in pitch but the result is a tone that sound people might call "woofy" or "heady". I've been battling the same problems. My idea will make your sound slightly more "edgy", if you will. It will work in all genres, not just rock, btw.

I have the feeling this is what you're after because if not, you're voice is already good as it is, IMO (besides the langue thing). F.ex. that Bruno Mars song was very well done. Maybe a bit too "woofy", but then I'm being very, very picky and that's just my taste. So basically, IMO, you need slightly more twang and you should let your larynx rise a few more millimeters as you ascend in pitch and even lower your soft palate slightly - to get a bit more lighter sound (less "dopy", if you will) and also a sound that cuts better through the mix, is a bit louder (without extra muscular effort), more powerful and generally more likable by the mass audience.

This is just a comment on the beginning of the vocal take. The rest is pretty similar so I don't want to comment on that as well.

I hope you don't mind these comments. I'm trying to help and I'm being picky. I firmly believe that everyone can vastly improve their voices in a not so long a timeframe. Have a nice day, dude!