PLEASE GUYS FOR REAL HELP ME OUT

• TMV World Member

Hey people, thanks for the attention! This is crucial for me so help me out please I have no one I can turn to

I'm an actor and I've recently lost some damn good opportunities in my field (musicals or just any part with a singing scene) because I'm terrified of being just a horrible singer delluding myself into humiliating me in public. I'm fed up with this because actually I love to sing and I do it constantly when I'm at home. I believe 100% that most people have ok ordinary voices, potential singers who could apply themselves and become fine singers if they just got the knowledge and practice. So I'm building up confidence to enroll in singing lessons because i'm totally aware that I need them since I have no freaking clue what I'm doing when I open my mouth, so none of the said needed knowledge. But I just need that extra push to build the courage to sing in front of a teacher you know, i could use some sober distant perspective and confidence cause I've heard some mean things when I was younger and I feel that that has scarred me so I have the hardest time bringing myself to believe on my potential to sing again, even tough I don't hate what I hear when I record myself. So PLEASE HELP don't dellude me and just don't be mean, SHOULD I PERSUE IT AND ENROLL IN SINGING LESSONS? DO I HAVE THE POTENTIAL IT TAKES? Remember I'm want to professionally persue this (musicals) so just bearable isn't actually a great thing, but it's a starting point i guess.  Thank you very much

me trying to sing low then high this year: https://soundcloud.com/joaquin-pheonix-17866659/onesweetday

me trying to sing high last year: https://soundcloud.com/joaquin-pheonix-17866659/forcaestranha-draft

me trying a showtune a few years ago: https://soundcloud.com/joaquin-pheonix-17866659/youllbeback-draft

Hear me here: https://soundcloud.com/joaquin-pheonix-17866659  

p.s.: english is not my first language so bear with me on(?) that 

• TMV World Legacy Member

Part of gaining confidence is discovering that things are nowhere near as bad as you imagine.

It's a classic catch. You need the confidence to take the first step, but you need to take the first step to see what it is about and gain the confidence.

The other thing is that negative opinions and thoughts are only as potent as the attention you give them.

So forget all the imagined "horror" scenarios and think of the time when you are looking back and saying, "what on Earth was I worried about?". That is the prize you are aiming for.

As a start, bear in mind that any competent teacher has seen and heard it all before: singers of all abilities. All the teacher is thinking about is building a voice -- none of the negative opinions you may have grown up around. So it really is up to you to drop that fear. The teacher is not going to even bat an eyelid.

Listening to your clips, I would think that the first thing a teacher would tell you to do is to RELAX! Don't try to compensate for doubts in your head!

Think six months ahead, man. I am not hearing anything in your clips that could stop you from sweeping away all your doubts within six months.

It's your career. Is it worth that patience?

• TMV World Member
On 11/28/2018 at 11:52 AM, kickingtone said:

Part of gaining confidence is discovering that things are nowhere near as bad as you imagine.

It's a classic catch. You need the confidence to take the first step, but you need to take the first step to see what it is about and gain the confidence.

The other thing is that negative opinions and thoughts are only as potent as the attention you give them.

So forget all the imagined "horror" scenarios and think of the time when you are looking back and saying, "what on Earth was I worried about?". That is the prize you are aiming for.

As a start, bear in mind that any competent teacher has seen and heard it all before: singers of all abilities. All the teacher is thinking about is building a voice -- none of the negative opinions you may have grown up around. So it really is up to you to drop that fear. The teacher is not going to even bat an eyelid.

Listening to your clips, I would think that the first thing a teacher would tell you to do is to RELAX! Don't try to compensate for doubts in your head!

Think six months ahead, man. I am not hearing anything in your clips that could stop you from sweeping away all your doubts within six months.

It's your career. Is it worth that patience?

It's definitely worth it, thank you very, very much for taking the time!

You've said some really important  things that I needed to hear to calm down,

It's a journey and I'm looking forward to it, thanks sincerely!

• 1 month later...
  • TMV World Member
On 11/29/2018 at 7:50 PM, Love is Key said:

It's definitely worth it, thank you very, very much for taking the time!

You've said some really important  things that I needed to hear to calm down,

It's a journey and I'm looking forward to it, thanks sincerely!

why do you think is a journey? can you explain it to me iam a little bit confused, what can you gain from singing?

• TMV World Member

Hi. I'm not a professional singer but have sung in bands over many years. I agree with everything the first replier said. Try to ignore negative comments all singers even the best of the pro's have people that dont like their voice. 

Right.   to the clips tonaly you sound fine and with some training I'm sure you could improve gain controll techniqe etc and certainly be good enough and confident enough to improve your career.

From the vocals I would say your biggest problem is probably nerves. You sound very tense which is clamping youre vocal chords. Making everything sound a bit forced. Try to relax take a few deep breaths. Most of all enjoy it dont worry so much about how it sounds at the moment. focus on how it feels if you feel relaxed and happy the voice will do its job better.

Finaly dont be scared or embarrased about singing in front of a teacher they will certainly have heard worse. And will be able to help immensely. Good luck