Silent Night and Purple Rain

• Review My Singing Membership

I messed up the words and whatnot but either way here's two examples of me singing. I feel like I'm very tense and nasal at times, and on Silent Night I got throaty and in Purple Rain the high note was just yelling, so I was wondering how to work on these flaws.

Silent.wav

purplrain.wav

You tend to default to a really good cry vocal mode, which can do amazing things for your voice. If you purposefully use the cry reflex throughout your singing, it can help immensely. (I encourage you to look up Robert's and my videos on Cry. Certain vowels and consonants seemed to knock you out of that beautiful cry vocal mode you kept finding your way back to. A big help for that could be touching your tongue to your upper molars while singing. This keeps your vowels on the tongue, resonating at the front of the soft palate or in the hard palate, while still being able to utilize cry behind it.

On higher notes, you want to be able to first sing it lightly without constriction or tension. Then you can learn to use what I described above to hold resonance and increase it (like a ball of sound getting bigger) from good appoggio/breath-support/sigh. Just going for it without first being able to control the fine-motor skills involved in lighter mass, you'll just end up yelling. Try light and whimpering at first, then slowly increase resonance the sound color of your liking - similar to a classical Messa di Voce exercise.

Most of your issues are from inconsistency. While the above will help, the only way to work that out is through a regular training routine. Are you a part of one of Robert's or my courses? If so, I can go much deeper into what to do.

• Administrator

Hi Arj, sorry for the wait.

Nice sounding voice. 

Lot's of cry in your singing.

Why is there is no backing track? It would be better to hear you singing on top of the karaoke track, can you offer that for us to listen to?

Are you doing any training?  If so, what are you working on?  Any programs? Do you have a teacher?

Coach

• Review My Singing Membership
On 12/20/2018 at 7:58 PM, Robert Lunte said:

Hi Arj, sorry for the wait.

Nice sounding voice. 

Lot's of cry in your singing.

Why is there is no backing track? It would be better to hear you singing on top of the karaoke track, can you offer that for us to listen to?

Are you doing any training?  If so, what are you working on?  Any programs? Do you have a teacher?

Coach

Thank you for responding. At some point I could sing over a backing track but I don’t have a great mic so it might sound strange. I’ve never had any training or a coach unfortunately. I’ve always been too insecure about my voice until very recently. I do hope to get one in the near future.