Breath questions

Rate this topic

Billy Budapest

Here's a question- do you ever notice that you sometimes kind of hold your breath when singing? I've actually noticed this recently.

When you're singing, are you singing "on the air" or do you sometimes almost clutch it? Almost seems like if you sing on it, that it can be too much air going across your chords, but it also seems the tone's more full.

just some dopey questions...

Here's a question- do you ever notice that you sometimes kind of hold your breath when singing? I've actually noticed this recently.

When you're singing, are you singing "on the air" or do you sometimes almost clutch it? Almost seems like if you sing on it, that it can be too much air going across your chords, but it also seems the tone's more full.

just some dopey questions...

bill, i wanted to be sure you saw this...

here, in plain language, is my perception of what it feels like:

1. the lower abdomen seems like it's filled with compressed air during singing all the way to the lower back.

2. there is a feeling like your exhale is suspended and can be suspended for an unusual amount of time.

3. it feels like you can stop at any point in an exhale (even at the end) and before inhaling a new breath, still generate the pressure required to hit a note.

4. it can feel like no air was used to sing, particularly on loud, full voice high notes.

5. you can litterally feel like you've lost the ability to exhale.

5. you feel empowered, like any note is possible or any duration is possible.

6. when you have engaged the support somehow you have drawn yourself away from your throat area, so that the vocal chords stretch or adjust independent from the throat. it's as if the throat is a passive cylinder holding up your head and the vocal chords are nowhere near that cylinder. the vocal chords almost seem like adjustable valves, free to be altered.

again, this is just my perception and explanation of what it feels like.

What I feel is this...

I inhale with my ribs, and i pretend im actually inhaling the note as i sing. Almost like im pushing my voice upwards. As im ascending the scale, my diaphragm pushes out even more and my gut gets tighter. And at the same time im feeling pressure pushing down my lower back.

What I feel is this...

I inhale with my ribs, and i pretend im actually inhaling the note as i sing. Almost like im pushing my voice upwards. As im ascending the scale, my diaphragm pushes out even more and my gut gets tighter. And at the same time im feeling pressure pushing down my lower back.

yes, stan that's the inhalation sensation..good to have..tends to prevent blowing out btoo much air on exhalation.