Vocal buzz and headaches

Rate this topic

Wildcat

Hey All,

I've been really focusing on resonance, and for me I get two sensations. One, I can hear the increase of strength in formants, sounding like a ringing pitch of it's own, and then I also feel a buzzing, vibrating sensation which I try to have in my entire head (teeth, hard and soft palates, forehead and eyes, back of the head, and down to the oropharynx). My best description of this is a ton of echoes in my head forming a "buzzy cloud." I suppose this is singing in the mask, and I've only recently realized that I could really intensify these sensations. I've been singing through my usable range A2 to F#5 for a few months now, and I've only recently gotten access to notes in the area of B4 and above because I just started singing last January. I always used to strain to get into the "almighty mask," so I abandoned trying, thinking the imagery was just imagery, and I think though I could sing in that range it wasn't as connected, easy, or tonally the way I wanted. Recently, I've found the buzzing feeling and it was so strong the other day it almost felt like a laser was shot from the back of my right eye in an instant, that had to just stop. Now, I've read that headaches caused from singing cold be from muscle strains in the neck or head or straining affecting blood supply to the brain, but in the clip below I was very relaxed and only supported the tone appropriately. The crazy vibrations in my head, I've noticed doesn't equate to volume, but it does seem to make it easier for me to sing at dynamic volumes with a more consistent and full tone quality (and I had a pretty moderate headache after doing the hums and slides for around 30 minutes). I was walking in between classes today and I did a really buzzy low range vocal fry for a few minutes and I already started to get a headache several minutes later, leading me to think I'm doing something wrong. Anyways, I did this recording at night so it's at a relatively low volume, but my fuller voice tone is similar but with more volume and intensity. Even if I try to sound heavy, my voice likes being lighter, which is like my speaking voice.

http://www.box.net/shared/y475j62q5j

By the way, I really appreciate this forum. Even though I haven't posted much at all, I've been reading all the threads in the past six months and it would be an understatement to say that everyone's experiences and insights here haven't contributed to my first year of learning to sing. Thanks!

Yeah, I did have much more air than I needed, probably too much for me to have to hold back. I forgot to mention that the first thing I do is with my mouth closed, and the second is with my mouth open going on an uh/oh and moving more towards ah at the top (I think).

i can get headaches from singing too "pent up" or if i sing with a hold. if you take more breath in than you need, and your engaging support, you end up overfilled and over compressed from your abs to your throat. the vocal folds end up having to work hard to keep the air from escaping too fast, too forcefully. the folds are the only release valve at that point, and they clamp up and thicken and you end up straining.

this strain is analygous to constipation. ever strain during a bowel movement without releasing your breath or lift weights without breathing? if you do this the pressure can go right to your head.

did you know that the vocal folds job in the human body is to assist with moving heavy objects? hope this helps.