Cover of Neil Young - Heart of Gold

Rate this topic

Thanks!!!

I hate my cell phone really... It's a piece of crap when recording (everything distorts) but... I dunno, one has to use that which is at his disposal :P

Though I didn't know what to do at the end so I tried to sing a bit higher.. It went to hell without being warmed up but it's such a great song!! :D

I liked it. Style is spot-on. Diction is good. Could use a little more twang, but overall very reasonable and enjoyable to listen to.

Here and there, some very small intonation inaccuracies, but, as has been said... you just learned it.

Take a couple times through the song slowly and tune each note precisely to cement the intonation in your mind. After that, should even out very well.

Keep up the good work.

I like that you went low on some of the chorus, even though I know you can sing it high. And I liked your version better than the original. That's not a joke or an exaggeration or a desire to make you feel good or "support" your efforts. I simply liked it better than Neil's own version.

Steven's ears may certainly be better than mine but if you hit some shaky bits, I couldn't tell. You rolled right on through, like a live singer. Anyway, well done.

Thanks a bunch for the kind words! I don't know much about twang really (I thought it was something you used only in head voice? o_O) but the more I listen to it, the more I hear the errors in my intonation. Most notable is probably the second of four times in the end when I do a different melody on "heart of gold".

I will probably record this one again with a better cam (a friend offered to help me :D)

Ron; Thanks man!!! That really warms my heart! :D I guess that's what we all want, right? To be able to sing from top to bottom!

It seems like it's not uncommon for other performers to do Neil's songs better than he does himself. He has some great songs, but I've never quite warmed up to his voice itself.

But yes, give it another go with a better camera. It sounds like you've got yourself a winner.

Another Neil song you might want to try is "After The Gold Rush". Melodically, it's simply beautiful. I prefer to do it a step and a half down from the original key of D, which K.D. Lang has done, as well. But, of course, you can experiment with the keys to find what's most suitable for you.

Thanks a bunch for the kind words! I don't know much about twang really (I thought it was something you used only in head voice? o_O) but the more I listen to it, the more I hear the errors in my intonation. Most notable is probably the second of four times in the end when I do a different melody on "heart of gold".

I will probably record this one again with a better cam (a friend offered to help me :D)

Ron; Thanks man!!! That really warms my heart! :D I guess that's what we all want, right? To be able to sing from top to bottom!

Sing from the heart, even if that is top to bottom.

And actually, Snejk, I wouldn't mind hearing you do "Lorelei" from the latest Scorpions' album, Sting in the Tail. I bet you would nail it spot-on. Yeah, it's a ballad, but you've got a lovely voice that would croon this just right.

• 2 weeks later...

well well ...

you should get some better recording device, no shit

(like I wrote, that would be worth the bucks) :)

I like it and you also play guitar while singing, that's a plus (for me) :)

by the way ... you said the more you listen, the more errors you notice ... I also have this problem XD

one day I'm happy, next day I could BURRRN it ... rofl

but when I try again, all is fine until I listen to it the next day ... that's really annoying me ...

you're not alone ^^