What am I doing here?

Rate this topic

forgivendays

Hey,

http://www.box.net/shared/nl9ddnvpb2

I've never been able to reach F#4-G4 with such ease. I haven't tried other vowels but OE "herb" seems to always work. This feels connected. I can bring it down without feeling a break. I don't think this is curbing since I'm not applying any hold.

Here's another mode that I don't know what it is. I'm doing some sort of hold (I stop doing it at "the pain"). I can't do this around E-F4 so it's not curbing because curbing is supposed to get more limited (vowels) the higher you sing? This is the opposite. Anyway here's me badly repeating a line in Grace after Jeff Buckley.

http://www.box.net/shared/m6c36p6acc

Hey,

http://www.box.net/shared/nl9ddnvpb2

I've never been able to reach F#4-G4 with such ease. I haven't tried other vowels but OE "herb" seems to always work. This feels connected. I can bring it down without feeling a break. I don't think this is curbing since I'm not applying any hold.

Here's another mode that I don't know what it is. I'm doing some sort of hold (I stop doing it at "the pain"). I can't do this around E-F4 so it's not curbing because curbing is supposed to get more limited (vowels) the higher you sing? This is the opposite. Anyway here's me badly repeating a line in Grace after Jeff Buckley.

http://www.box.net/shared/m6c36p6acc

Morid: First one, up on the higher notes, sounds like overdrive. On the way down, you lose the center of the mode, but its low enough for you to get away with it. FYI, this will work even better if you twang some.

I think the second one is edge, but I am less familar with that. Perhaps someone else will jump in.

Thanks for posting. It does feel like something changed one the way down. The thing is I still keep connecting the commonly used terms, chest and head voice. Overdrive is what most men speak in. I've tried these same notes on these same vowels before but strained and failed a lot. This feels different; much easier and more free. I guess I wasn't in the center of the mode?

Thanks for posting. It does feel like something changed one the way down. The thing is I still keep connecting the commonly used terms, chest and head voice. Overdrive is what most men speak in. I've tried these same notes on these same vowels before but strained and failed a lot. This feels different; much easier and more free. I guess I wasn't in the center of the mode?

Morid: If you let the registration go toward a thinner-fold configuration, overdrive just goes up and up if you have the right vowel. I think what you have found is the right vowel for your registration to lighten. Its also quite possible you were not in the center of the mode before, but why look backward. Explore where this will take you. :-)

Hi Morid, glad you're excited! Singing is fun, especially when you have the little breakthroughs. Here are my thoughts, but take them with a grain of salt because I'm not an expert.

The first clip sounds like overdrive to me, because of the shouty character, but the vowels are a little bit off from the centered overdrive vowels EH and OH. Don't forget overdrive gets very loud at these higher pitches (also don't forget the upper limit of C5, but if you're new to singing around G4 then don't try going too high yet!). It's a really fun feeling though, to yell a G4 heeeeeey really loudly :) It should feel comfortable though. :)

The second clip I'm a bit unsure about. It sounds like something I accidentally do when trying to find high curbing. I do the 'hold' and think that will get me there, but instead a kind of neutral sound comes out, which is not what I was after. I'm not 100% sure if neutral with a hold even exists, but it feels like it's what I do sometimes, and it sounds like your clip when I do it. To try to find curbing (if that's what you want!) then it might be worth trying to decrease the hold just a little, increasing the volume and being really careful about the vowel. It's best to practice on single notes and a single vowel at first in unfamiliar parts of the voice.

I hope this helps, and remember I might be full of crap, so trust yourself instead! Good luck!

Hey, It does feel really comfortable and very loud. Also, the thinner-fold configuration Steven mentioned seems to allow a smoother transition to another mode (dunno what it's called yet). Apocalypse Please by Muse has lots of fairly high overdrive with these vowels so that should be fun to learn.

There is some sort of hold in compressed neutral. Assembling the vocal chords and making a click sound (I can't actually do the click sound). Maybe it's that or edge.

I'm still not sure on curbing but I'll try what you said tonight.. THANKS!

EDIT: eggplantbren: I tried taking the sound higher and it's working... this feels great. It's so effortless and weird I'm starting to think it's not overdrive. This made my week.

Okay here's my attempt at curbing. This is probably as high as I can take it. Am I doing it right?

http://www.box.net/shared/cnd2ctj2zq (I repeat what Matthew Bellamy sings)

Morid: Cool! This is well on the way. Two things to suggest... 1) for the time being, sing the onset cleanly on-pitch, and do the release that way, too. For the actual song, you may wish to do the sliding up and down, but for practice, start clean. 2) Get to the twang right from the onset, and see if you can get a little more than you had.

Glad to hear of your breakthrough. Way to go, man!

Thanks! I'm a little disappointed that this is curbing. I've probably been doing this for months: EE in chest voice with a little squeeze (hold) and lots of support. F4 is the highest I've taken this sound and it's not even consistent. I can't see how people can take this higher without their passagio getting in the way.

EDIT: I reread the curbing chapter in CVT. It says curbing often blends into compressed neutral or edge in the high part of the voice. So how high should I pull chest? How do I increase my curbing range without blending it with edge (The second link on this thread is probably edge)? This is very confusing :/