Storm - Lifehouse (Cover by Alphex)

Rate this topic

Hi guys. I have just started reocrding some music at home using an NT1A-Condenser mic and Cubase AI4. I'm not really sure of the optimal recording settings I just quickly played around with it and whipped this up. It would be great if I could get some constructive feedback on my vocals as I want to learn how to improve them.

Here's the cover:

Cheers.

I wasn't familiar with this song, so I listened to "Glycerine." Yours was a quieter, more subdued version, or maybe it was the mix. You have a smoother tone than the original by Bush, even with the rasp you put on it.

I thought it was nice. The only thing I might suggest, purely for stylistic reasons is to change dynamics within a song. Rather than just one even volume or note attack, give it some gas, so to speak, like, for example, on choruses. Just a slight increase in volume to give it a slightly different flavor.

Thanks for your response ronws. Another one of my mates suggested the same thing, he said that parts of the song lacked power, particularly in the chorus where you really have to punch those notes out.

Were there any other aspects that you noticed could be improved in my voice? Quality of the recording? In tune? Anything at all, I am still very new to all this and very inexperienced so all the feedback I could get (positive or negative) would be great.

I think what Ron suggested would be a very good start. You're singing well. It's just that it might sound a bit better if there was a bit more variety in your vocal sound. Perhaps this is exactly how the original version is, 'cause I haven't heard it. But there's nothing that says that you can't put your own spin on it, even just slightly. Cheers.

What jonpall said, expressing better than I did. Your in tune, we just want to hear some variety in volume, denoting the emotion of the song. Though I must say you did sound remorseful in "Storm." That's a good show of emotion.

Thanks guys. I have attempted many songs that don't require a great deal of range so far because my voice isn't well suited to many songs that require high/powerful notes. I will try to express myself better in my future recordings and post them back on here and let you guys contrast. Appreciate the feedback! :)